Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion P6654Y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
The power went out last night, and the PC is plugged into a surge protector.

Everything else began to turn back on when the power came back except for the PC. I went over to it and pushed the power button to turn it on; however, the power button light did not turn on, and the fans on the inside did. I also see two green LED lights that are working inside the computer and by the power supply.

This has happened before, and usually the 30 second trick works (where you unplug everything and hold the power button for 30 seconds to drain all power). Typically it took a few times and eventually worked, although I can’t remember if there was anytthing else I did to fix it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended
Should I just let the fan run for a little bit and then try? I’m not really sure what to do.
HP Recommended

Hi

You may have run out of luck.

A surge protector is a good device to have but this device can fail. I use an UPS which gracefully shuts the system down. I then disconnect the system from AC power until power is restored.

I am guessing a power spike may have occurred when power was restored by the utility.

This may have compromised system components such as the MB and devices connected to the MB or the power supply.

You will have to start the component troubleshooting process to determine what component or components has/have failed.

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.