Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

POST freezes after new GPU installation

HP p6-1229el
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
I bought a GTX1050 to finally convert this HP Pavilion in a capable gaming machine. Unfortunately when I install the card the boot will simply freeze at the first screen. I tried switching to the message POST screen, to see if any particular error is displayed, but nothing, just a simple recap of the configuration as usual and it will hang there. The PC is actually responsive for two reasons: 1. when I press a key the internal speaker would make a sound. 2. with the Ctrl+Alt+Canc combination the computer with restart and just fall in the same situation again.
Now, the PSU is a Corsair VS550 and the card doesn't even require an additional connector. The GPU was also tested in a similar but older computer with some kind of Intel Core 2 Quad inside, working fine. So those are not the culprits. Also outside of the GPU installation scenario the computer works perfectly fine.
So the problem is the motherboard, in particular the BIOS. There must be some kind of block or some oversight that can't let those new type of video cards boot.
I read that it must have something to do with "secure boot" and "legacy support", but unfortunately I don't have any of those options in my BIOS.
I update to the last version of BIOS available with no avail.
At this point a tried everything, changing BIOS options in the hope of a successful POST and trying to update the BIOS to a newer one. Because multiple HP models share the same exact motherboard I could theoretically flash the BIOS of any of those and make it work (read other cases in which they successfully make it work this way). But the Update Utilities got differences in how the files interact and in which directory, so even though I got a
the same Foxcon ABF (if I recall correctly) motherboard, I can't use BIOS updates of other PC models, even if they might actually work.
I know you're gonna probably respond me with some semi-automatic message, but well I finished my troubleshooting options. Any help would be appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 19
Level 19
82,917 82,809 10,395 22,290
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi,

I could not find software and drivers for HP p6-1229el but for the HP Pavilion p6-1200 Desktop PC series :

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-1200-desktop-pc-series/5258512

Yes, definitely older BIOS won't allow you to install newer video card and the latest BIOS on the link dated  Dec 23, 2012 could be too old for this. But it is version 8.12-A-1 Rev. A- means I may support newer video cards. Have you tried it ?

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for your fast response. I misspelled the product name, it's the p6-2119el. In fact I can't find a working installer of the BIOS with revision 8.
0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation