Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion 500-530nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have just successfully updated my client’s Pavilion 500-530nl (AMD A10-7800 / motherboard MS-7906 Rev 2.0 ROM SSID 2B35) from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10.

Checking the HP support for updates for this model and serial number, the current bios ver. 80.06 Rev.A (sp 72694.exe) is listed as compatible with Windows 8.1 while only the latest bios ver. A0.07 Rev.A (sp77785.exe) is recommended for Windows 10; quote: “Improved security of UEFI code and variables. HP strongly recommends promptly transitioning to this updated BIOS version which supersedes all previous releases. NOTE: Due to security changes, after this BIOS update is installed, previous versions cannot be reinstalled.”

Installation of BIOS A0.07 Rev.A (sp77785.exe) from windows appeared to run correctly, however, upon restart of the computer the power light flashes and computer beeps 8 times, - no screen, no keyboard, completely stuck.  

Tried USB BIOS recovery with  A0.07, - it installs, checks and reports bios updated successfully. Again upon restart of the computer the power light flashes and computer beeps 8 times and blocks, - no screen, no keyboard. Tried USB recovery with original version 80.06 but this is not recognized and will not even start to install.

So it appears that BIOS A0.07 is not compatible with this MS-7906 Rev 2.0 motherboard even if it is strongly recommended by HP. Now that it is installed the computer is blocked and it is not possible to roll-back the BIOS.

Is there any alternative/newer BIOS which is compatible with this motherboard?

Thanks

Derek

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DerekCo Welcome to HP Community!

I understand that you are unable to update the BIOS.

In that case, I would suggest you contact phone support. They will help you.

Here is how you can get in touch with phone support.

1)Click on this link - www.hp.com/contacthp/

2)Select the product type.

3)Enter the serial number of your device or select let HP detect your product option.

4)Select the country from the drop-down.

5)You should see the HP phone support number or Chat option listed.

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

HP Recommended

@Praveen196; Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have exhausted all those solutions.

The only solution HP can provide is to replace the motherboard. At four years old, and out of warranty, the cost is not justified. It would be better to upgrade to a new machine, - which most certainly will not be a HP!

The real issue here is that “HP strongly recommends” this A07.07 BIOS update for this specific machine when in fact it clearly is not compatible and effectively destroys your computer, - unacceptable!.  So why can HP not provide a working version for this computer?

I am not the first one with this problem, and won’t be the last one. So if HP will not admit to their mistake then the least they can do is remove this update recommendation from the support site and save others from getting into this same mess.

HP Recommended

@DerekCo

I understand your concerns. 

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04126730 have you tried these steps? if yes, I'm afraid there's no other way of recovering the old bios, this could be a hardware malfunction that requires a motherboard repair, as there are no other bios updates available, no news of new updates that would be released soon.

Have a nice day!!

HP Recommended

The HP solution of a $350 replacement motherboard, to fix a HP recommended faulty/incompatible BIOS update is completely unacceptable.

Without wasting any further time and effort on this problem, I have decided to scrap this machine and replace it with one from a more dependable manufacture.

Conclusion:     ****** AVOID  HP ******

HP Recommended

@DerekCo

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information.

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.