Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion 500 turns on and shuts off at windows screen

Pavilion 500-277c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Turn computer on and post is fine, then goes to the blue Windows screen and turns off like you pulled the plug out of the wall.  Turns itself back on and repeats this loop forever. Sometimes it will turn on and immediatly turn off, other times it will go until the blue loading screen for Windows. 

It will run forever it seems when I go in to the BIOS screen, it let me run the full system extensive test (which I did and all systems passed) 

When I go to sytem recovery it will start to do it's thing and then shut off again like you pulled the plug on it and turn itself back on. 

I have loaded all defaults, done a cmos clear, bios recovery did not work so I don't think that is an option on this model.

All system test passed.

Tried unseating all connectors and components, tried different ram, power supply, video card, sound card, the only thing I suspect maybe is the hard drive? I think all the system test is done on chip so the hard drive is not in play at that point? It's like once it starts to do something like restore WIndows it turns off.

Any help would be apprecitated as the computer is dead in the water at this point.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,581 14,559 933 933
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @GhostDragon150

I understand that the Computer is not booting up and you have already attempted several troubleshooting steps.

I have gone through your case and it seems the Recovery Partition on the computer is corrupted as well and that is why you are unable to complete the System Recovery.

As of now it doesn't seem to be a Hardware issue, since all the Diagnostic passed and it doesn't shut down in BIOS.

I suggest you do a System Recovery using the Recovery Media.

If you do not have the Recovery Media, please contact our Phone Support to order one.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@KrazyToad wrote:

Hi @GhostDragon150

I understand that the Computer is not booting up and you have already attempted several troubleshooting steps.

I have gone through your case and it seems the Recovery Partition on the computer is corrupted as well and that is why you are unable to complete the System Recovery.

As of now it doesn't seem to be a Hardware issue, since all the Diagnostic passed and it doesn't shut down in BIOS.

I suggest you do a System Recovery using the Recovery Media.

If you do not have the Recovery Media, please contact our Phone Support to order one.

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect 
Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"
Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

Thank you. 🙂

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and "Kudos" Buttons.

@KrazyToad Thank you for your help, I do not have the recovery media so I will have to order that. If the main partition got corrupted and the restore partition as well, should I replace my hard drive and then reinstall the OS? Seems odd that the hard drive would get corrupted like this without a hardware issue, but the diag test passed it no problem. I just don't want to go to all the effort to reinstall and then have the hard drive crap out. I've had hard drive issues with other computers in the past and it would usually lock up or give a no device detected error, never had one turn the computer off and on like this. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
14,581 14,559 933 933
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi @GhostDragon150

As mentioned, it doesn't seem to be an issue with the Hard drive since the Test passed and the Notebook doesn't shut down in the BIOS. You can try the System Recovery and that should get the computer working.

Thanks

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation