Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion - 570-p064
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

PC will not boot from DVD Drive.

Prior to boot attempt:

Disabled secure boot.

Enabled legacy support.

Confirmed that the PC could read DVD files in Windows 10.

Enabled DVD as first boot in legacy support devices.

Known bootable DVD was not able to boot.

Enabled DVD as first boot in UEFI boot sources, obviously DVD still failed to boot.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

With the bootable DVD in the DVD drive,  start tapping the Esc about 2-3 times per second immediately, and start the PC.  A menu should popup with choices to pick viable boot devices.  If the DVD does appear choose that.  If it does not appear, it is not being recognized.  I have found that even if UEFI boot sources, it should see the DVD.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

With the bootable DVD in the DVD drive,  start tapping the Esc about 2-3 times per second immediately, and start the PC.  A menu should popup with choices to pick viable boot devices.  If the DVD does appear choose that.  If it does not appear, it is not being recognized.  I have found that even if UEFI boot sources, it should see the DVD.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Stunning.  I will give that a try tonight or tomorrow morning, as soon as I can get to the PC.  If it works, then you saved me from having to return it in the Best Buy 15 day timel limit.  I will let you know the outcome asap.  Thanks for the heads up.

I was going to look for the key to invoke selective boot, although requiring that is a tad ridiculous so I wasn't hopeful.  I thought it would be F12 or something like that, but nothing worked.  I would never have considered the procedure that you posted.

Kudos

Zorg

HP Recommended

Worked like a champion.  I wonder why this is a secret?

Thanks a lot for the insight.

HP Recommended

The newer PC's and Windows 10 boot up so fast that the average user misses the small window of time to get into the "Ecs" menu.  That is why I recommend the procedure I set for you.  There is another way to get there but this way you are sure to arrive at the Esc menu and then pick.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Yup, I thought that was your concern.  I hit another road block.  It appears that W10 locks down the permisiions of the drives, specifically the 1TB Data drive.  I was using PING "Partition Image Not Ghost"  http://ping.windowsdream.com/.  I will need to temporarily swap the 1TB drive with another drive, that hasn't been booted in W10 or use EaseUS Todo Backup Free, which is installed on c:\ and, I assume, is conveyed the permissions.  This is not my PC.  Luckily I am still runnung W7 with dual boot Kubuntu.  The reason to use a third party backup in addidtion to the W10 backup is to be able to copy the backup to DVDs easily in the event of a catastrophic failure.  This kind of stuff us why I build my own PCs.  I don't need MS to protect me from myself.

Thanks again for the heads up.

HP Recommended

If you are wanting to make a backup (or image) of the hard drive  and be outside of Windows, clonezilla can do that.  Make the bootable CD for Clonezilla and then make the image or clone outside of Windows.   I have not used PING but did read that the problem you posted is one of the things can happen when using PING.

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I looked at Clonezilla many many years ago and decided on PING.  I don't remember why.  I have never had a situation where PING could not write to the target drive in XP or W7.  I don't remember if I tried W8.  So my guess is that there has been a change in W10 and possibly W8 to change permisions to restrict writing to the drives.

I have a drive so I will try installing it temporarily and then boot directly into PING.  This should allow PING to write to it.  I'm also curious to see if it works.

HP Recommended

I added a drive in place of the 1TB drive, booted directly into PING and imaged the partitions.  Worked like a charm.  It's nice to be able to have an image on DVDs in a safe place.

Again, thanks for your help.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.