Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Pavilion 590 0070 powers down with no warning and will not power up for an hour or more.  Displays error message BIOS CHECKSUM ERROR, WILL BE RESET TO DEFAULT.  RESTART AND CHECK SETUP when it does restart.  Is this a power supply problem?  Thanks

15 REPLIES 15
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Is this your PC (Link)?

It could be a power supply issue.

It could also be a power switch problem or motherboard problem (short in either part) or a BIOS ROM problem.

Heat can also cause this but the BIOS Checksum error message seems to remove this cause as a possible issue.

Have HP check if you are in warranty. Select "Contact Support" at the above link. Or have a local PC tech take a look.

You could try this BIOS update (Link). The major downside on doing this is a borked PC if the PC shuts down during the BIOS update. This option can ruin your PC. Also, no guarantee this BIOS update will fix the problem.

Your PC is not stable at this time.

Regards

HP Recommended

This is my PC.  I failed to say I have removed the side cover and placed a 12 inch table fan blowing directly into the PC.  It seems to have fixed the problem, if I remove it the PC will power off shortly.  I did check and all three fans are running and there is no build up of lent in the heatsink. 

I have added a solid state drive but I don't think this would overload the power supply.

I have been trying to find an upgrade supply but can't find what will fit.

HP Recommended

Hi Dedaw,

You can get a HP 400 watt power supply (part number L04618-800 SFF PSU) at HP Part Surfer (Link).

But you seem to have a heat issue if adding a 12 inch external fan is helping with system stability.

A more powerful PSU may not solve this problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

GRZWACZ 

I am waiting for new fans to try.  If that does not help I will try a new power supply.  We will see. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi.

You're very welcome.

Regards

HP Recommended

I Ordered a power supply, the L04618-800.  Just received it and have a question.  P2, the seven pin plug on the original has three wires and four empty holes. The new supply has six wires and one empty hole.  I am concerned I may damage the system board if I plug it in.  Does anyone no where I can get a pinout with voltage shown on the connectors?  Also would it be best to remove the extra wires from the plug?  Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi,

The new power supply should work. Have you looked at the motherboard pin out to see if it works with the new power supply? The change in pin out on the new power supply is probably due to the additional power being supplied to the system.

I still don't know if buying a new power supply is the solution in your case.

The 400 watt HP power supply you have purchased should work fine in your PC.

Try connecting the new power supply at your own risk. I assume no liability if you zap: your motherboard or break attached components and peripherals.

Again, I don't believe a new power supply is a solution.

Wait, I think someone else in the forum (Link) was concerned about the same 310 watt power supply. The power supply fan was not running. Maybe there is a problem with the HP 310 watt power supplies. A over heating power supply will cause system instability.

Regards

HP Recommended

The seven pin plug is the only thing changed. all other plugs are the same.  Also the original supply died three days back so I had to buy a new one and the 400 watt was $3.00 more than the original.

I had received the fans and this did not help.  

I will install the new supply tomorrow and we will see what happens.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Grzwacz

Installed the 400 watt supply.  Works fine and it has a high speed fan which moves at least 3 times the air from the original.

Also purchased high speed fans with three times the air CFM of the originals.  Problem is still here.  After installing everything it ran over 4 hours before I shut it off.  Restarted several hours later and it crashed in about 15 minutes.  Nothing I can think of now except motherboard.

The trouble log in the PC shows a full page of errors 502 and when I finely do get it to restart it comes up with a yellow box that says bios checksum error. Bios will be reset to default.  ERROR 502.  I don't know what this error means but thought maybe I should upgrade the bios. I am worried it will crash during upgrade.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.