Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion a6700 Desktop PC series
Microsoft Windows Vista (64-bit)

My desktop will not turn on. I tried to unplug the cord and hold the power button down for ten seconds, and still no power up. The green LED light under the plug in the back is on and steady. Please advise.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi @DrBlez ,

Thank you for posting on HP Forums,

The Barachiel is at your service.

I understand you are in need of support,

I'll be glad to help you out, however, for an accurate solution I will need more details:

Have you attempted any steps on your own before posting on the HP Forums?

When was the last time it worked without these issues? 

In the meantime, please try the steps mentioned below:

HP Desktop PCs - Performing a Hard Reset

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Please reply with the details for further assistance.

Eager to help!

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I am having the same problem.   Our power went off today while i was using the PC and when power was restored a couple of hours later the PC power light is on buy the screen is black, the fan not running  nothing.   I have followed the steps in trouble shoot with no success.   I have pluged in with  new power cord disconnected everythingl    I cannot test anything because there is no screen at all.  I do not think it has anything to do with cords or outlets because I have connected another computer with the same cords and it is working with no problem.   It was working fine before the power outage

HP Recommended

Hi @ntstar4 ,

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

Did you try to perform a hard reset as I suggested before? If not, Please follow the steps given below:

HP Desktop PCs - Performing a Hard Reset

Many startup errors and other problems can be resolved by decreasing the amount of power stored in hardware components. Decreasing stored power is sometimes referred to as a "Hard Reset". Use the following steps to perform a hard reset on a computer:

1. If Windows is open, click Start and then Shutdown.

If Windows is not open and the computer has power, press and hold the power button on the computer until the computer shuts off.

2. With the power off, disconnect the power cord from the back of the computer.

3. With the power off and the power cord disconnected, press the power button on the computer for 5 seconds. The power light indicator on or near the power button might turn on briefly but then go out.

4. Reconnect the power cord and turn on the power.

Let me know how that pans out. 🙂

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask any other queries as  well,

Considering, this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help. 😉

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

i did all of that.  I had no screen so could not start up    only power is the green light.  no fan no screen no sound 

HP Recommended

Hi @ntstar4 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

If you have an external display, you could connect it and diagnose, If not then I would request you to contact HP's phone support team for further assistance. 🙂

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to auto detect.Scroll down to "Still need help?

Complete the form to select your contact options". Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get a Case & phone number.

They will be happy to assist you immediately. If the unit is under warranty repair services under the manufacturer's warranty will be free of charge.

Best regards,

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

yes for 59.95 they will.   

HP Recommended

Hi @ntstar4 ,

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I have escalated your concern to HP's Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options (if any). 

You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding Holidays & Weekends). 

Response times may vary by region. 

Please send a Private Message, if you aren't contacted within 4-5 business days.  

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (such as serial numbers and case details).

And Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well, 

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead. 🙂

Barachiel
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

As I previously stated, the computer will not power up, so a hard reset is not possible. I tried your solution of removing the power source, hold power button down for 5 seconds, and then reconnect the power source. That did not work. The last time that I used this computer was about a 2-3 weeks ago, and it powered up without issue. Please advise of the cause and solution. Thank you.

HP Recommended

Nstar, did HP contact you to diagnose and/or resolve your issue? Did they charge you for their assistance? Thank you for your response.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.