Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavilion will not shut down. Have tried factory reset.

Pavilion 27-n250na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi, I hope you can help me.

My PC has not been shutting down for the past week or so. The only way to shut it down is by holding down the physical power button. I have tried a few workarounds that I I've read on forums to solve the problem, but nothing has worked, so I backed up all of my files onto an external hard drive and then performed a factory reset on the computer, so it's supposed to be in ' as new' condition, but the problem still persists. The computer screen shows the 'shutting down' text, the screen then goes black but the light and the fan remain on. I have left it all day and night and will not shut down. Nothing is plugged into the USB ports. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Thanks...
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
21,468 21,456 1,418 2,075
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@poshea,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query on this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the computer is not shutting down.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

In order that I may provide you with an accurate solution, I will need a few more details.

• When was the last time the computer was working fine?
  • Have you made any software or hardware changes on the computer?

Meanwhile, I recommend you update the bios and the chipset driver from the below link and test.

http://hp.care/2nikIQ9

If the issue persists, follow the below steps.

Open Settings and select System.  Select Power and sleep, then click on Additional power settings - in the following window, click on 'Choose what the power button does' in the left-hand pane.

In the subsequent window, first, click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' (near the top of the Window) and then remove the checkmark from the box against 'Turn on fast start-up (recommended)'.  Click the Save Settings button, then close any open windows and restart the notebook.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 1 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi and thanks very much for your reply.

I've created a new account to reply to you, as I am unable to log in to my previous account. I'm not receiving the "change password" links.

I switched on the computer today and it took a long time to start up and had a blue error screen. I tried again and it worked. I'm guessing that my switching off with the physical power button over the past couple of weeks is messing up the hard drive?

I've already tried the "turn off fast start up" a few days ago, to no avail.

I think I've updated the BIOS and Chipset now, but I'm hesitant to swith off the computer in case it messes the thing up permanently.

In answer to your 2 questions:

The last time the computer worked fine was about 2 weeks ago and I've not made any software or hardware changes as far as I'm aware. Maybe automatic updates?

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@poshea,

Thank you for keeping me posted.

I recommend you shut down the computer using the software button and check. I am positive that the computer should restart fine.

Please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you. 

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi again, and thanks for your suggestion.

I've now had to create a new email address and create a third account on this forum to reply to your message as I cannot log in to either of the previous two I've created. This is very strange and I'm not sure who to contact about this.

Okay, I went to my office where the computer lives and had been left switched on since I last messsaged you a few hours ago. The screen was black and neither pressing the space bar or mouse would activate the screen. The computer was on and the blue light was on, but only a black screen (the same as when I try to shut it down). The computer is set up to "never go to sleep", so it shouldn't be going to sleep. I waited a good 10 minutes for the screen to reactivate, but it didn't, so I once again shut the computer down with the physical power button. It started up again okay, and am messaging you on it now. I bought it new a year and a half ago.

I will now try to shut it down and will get back to you.

ps...if you could try and find out why I can't log in to the other accounts I've created on here, that would be great! Or direct me to who I need to message to resolve it. I've tried the password resetting etc... on both accounts.

Thanks again for your time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 2 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Me again,

I've worked out how to login to this forum now. Where it says 'username' - the email address needs to be entered rather than the username!

Okay, so I've tried to shut it down, but alas, it's still just the black screen with the power light and fan on. I've looked after this computer that I spent £900 on very well and have only had it a year and a half. Pretty annoying.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@poshea,

I recommend you contact HP phone support to further diagnose the issue.

Here is how you can get in touch with the phone support.

Open link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Enter Product number or select to autodetects

Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Scroll down and click on HP contact options - click on Get phone number.

If the solution provided helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Your feedback counts!

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation