Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP 23-r009 All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I was going through the maintenance on the HP assistant and it asked me to update the BIOS. It did its thing for 3 or 4 hours (it seemed to be stuck on a loop as it would complete the update and start over) and then I finally switched the computer off.

When I turned it back on it would be 7 or 8 times and then restart the update process, again on a loop. I turned it off and said, well I will try again tomorrow. The next day the computer would not boot anymore.

It turns on - light and fan goes on but no bios screen and no hp logo, the screen is black. I tried hitting "esc" several times, win+b, f2, f9 and f10. Nothing.

I have downloaded the BIOS file (https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-23-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/7779732/model/77... - can someone confirm that this is the correct one, plus I have downloaded only the May one, should I be putting all 3 of them on the USB?!)onto a usb but I can't go to the setup screen to make the pc boot using the USB. I have already bought a new computer (boo) but I need to get the work files from the old one that won't boot, HALP!

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@dani0987

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

This tool might or might not work in the event of BIOS corruption depending on many factors, but is worth trying in the event the BIOS is corrupted.

1. Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.

2. Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds.

Keyboard highlighting the key presses for BIOS recovery

3. Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.

• If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next section to Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

• If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

• If a BIOS recovery message repeatedly displays, continue to the next section to Recover the BIOS using a USB recovery drive.

• If a message that the computer improperly shut down or a boot problem is detected displays, follow the on-screen instructions to resolve the error.

• If Windows starts, update to the latest BIOS version. Go to HP Notebook PCs - Updating the BIOS for more information.

The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically.

HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

If this recovery method fails, use another working computer to create a BIOS recovery flash drive to install the latest BIOS file.
If you are unable to recover the last working BIOS version, install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website using a USB flash drive.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks Echo, I will try that this evening - the win+b didn't work so i will try win+v.

Meanwhile, can you confirm that the bios I downloaded is the correct one for my computer?

(https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/HP-23-All-in-One-Desktop-PC-series/7779732/model/77... - can someone confirm that this is the correct one, plus I have downloaded only the May one, should I be putting all 3 of them on the USB?!)

Furthermore, if I do this bios update, does it erase my HD?

Thanks, I will come back with my findings 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @Echo_Lake - win+v did not work either.

I have downloaded all 3 bios files for my pc from https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-23-r000-all-in-one-desktop-pc-series/7779732/mod...

Do I extract all 3 files onto the usb or just the newest one? Furthermore, would that format the HD?

Do you have a link for a video showing how to backup the data from the HD of a non-working computer so I can backup the information sitting on my All-in-one?

Thanks!

Dani

HP Recommended

@dani0987

Thank you for posting back. 

The first step is to decide which files or file types you want to back up. Make a list of important information that you cannot easily replace. This list can help you determine which files to back up, and also give you a reference list in the event that you need to retrieve the files.

Here are some file type suggestions to get you started:

• Personal documents and letters

• Digital photographs

• Bank records or financial information

• Music and videos

• E-mail and contact names

Click here: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c03270359 to know more about Backing Up Your Files (Windows 10, 😎

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The computer won't turn on... I can't really do the straightforward back up. I meant to ask about a video showing how to open the computer and how/where to connect the HD onto a working computer to backup the data.

I also would like to know if I should download all three BIOS files onto the usb flashdrive or just the newest version?

HP Recommended

Nothing.. I can't get past the black screen. The fan is working but I can't get anything on the screen 😞

If anybody has any videos on how I can get back up that HD onto a my new computer - I assume I will have to open the back and remove the HD and connect it to my nem computer somehow?! - I'd appreciate it.

HP Recommended

@dani0987

Find and open the backup folder on your computer, and then double-click the executable file (.exe) that was created during the backup process. note: There might be more than one file with the same name, but only one will be an application (.exe) file. When the Recovery Manager File Restore Program opens, click Next.

Click here:  https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04688331 to know more about HP PCs - Restoring Files that Were Backed Up Using HP Recovery Manager (Windows 10, 😎

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I cannot turn my computer on! I obviously can't do a simple backup...

Do you by chance have step-by-step on how to remove the HD and somehow plug it in to a working computer to transfer files?!?!

HP Recommended

@dani0987

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now.

I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out. HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link:  www.hp.com/contacthp/

Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.