Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Pavillion all in one desktop won't start.

Pavilion All in One Desktop 23 Touchscreen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

At first I started having problems with the computer waking from sleep mode and had to turn the computer off by pressing the switch and then back on. This lasted for several weeks or more then all of a sudden the switch will not turn off the computer and the light just blinks for 7 times, then pauses then 7 again over and over. I have read the troubleshooting stuff and none of that works. I also read stuff about shorting the switch or other parts of the motherboard and also replacing a battery on the motherboard. So I am stuck and whilst I suspect it's the switch itself which I have read is poor I fear if I take it for a repair I will end up being told it needs a new motherboard. 

Anyone else had had this problem and found out what the fix is ?

6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Does that pattern of blinking lights match anything documented at:

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c02222922#

???

Is the pattern like 7 consecutive ticks of a clock (or a metronome), or is there "short" and "long" ticks, e.g., 1-1-1-4  (like the start of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony ?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi thanks for the response. The flashing lights are like a metronome - seven flashes and then a short pause before starting again.

Note  the link you sent me was for beeps and I don't get any beeps from the computer it's totally silent.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 4 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I should have said in my initial problem definition it is possible that the computer had been left on and fallen into sleep mode. But this time the switch won't turn the computer off so I can restart it.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jmacrr The flashing lights are like a metronome - seven flashes and then a short pause before starting again.

Note  the link you sent me was for beeps and I don't get any beeps from the computer it's totally silent. 

See: HP Desktop PCs - Computer Does Not Start and Emits an LED or Beep Code

The important word is "or" -- the motherboard can either flash an LED or beep.  The patterns are identical.

> This time the switch won't turn the computer off so I can restart it.

Hold-down the switch for 10 seconds, or until the computer powers-off.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 3 0 0
Message 6 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I had the power unplugged all last night and when I reconnected to try the 10 second hold of the power button I noticed for the first time there were no flashing lights. I pressed the power button and it has now booted up as normal!! No idea why and if the problem will repeat. If the problem returns I will let you know. Thank you for the help.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 7 of 7
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@Jmacrr@  wrote:
I had the power unplugged all last night.
When I reconnected to try the 10 second power button, I noticed for the first time there were no flashing lights.
I pressed the power button and it has now booted up as normal!!
No idea why and if the problem will repeat. If the problem returns I will let you know. Thank you for the help.

Yes, unplugging the power forces the computer to shutdown.

Yes, pressing the power button should launch a "normal" boot.

It's possible that when the computer is "sleeping", then it generates that pattern of lights.

A quick "tap" of the power-button should "wake" the sleeping computer -- give it 10 to 15 seconds to get fully awake.

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation