Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 23 all-in-one b-010
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello.  Just upgraded RAM in my HP Pavilion 23 All-in-one.  Temporarily (1 screw) replaced back cover to fire up system to make sure system worked with new RAM; plugged rear power into slot, turned system on and it worked fine.  Worked on system for some 15 or so minutes; all went well. Unplugged system, again removed the back cover to replace the RAM cover and blow out any dust before permanently replacing back cover.  Replaced the back cover, but now when I plug the round power cord into the rear, the white power light comes on for about  7 - 8 seconds, then goes out.  I tried a different power supply from my other identical HP Pavilion 23, and the same thing:  will plug round power supply in rear of machine, white rear power light comes on for 7 or 8 seconds then goes out.  Side power switch (on-off switch) non-responsive.  RAM is new and worked fine.  May have caused problem when I blew out any dust.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanx much,...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@pbb13
Thank you for posting back.

This sounds like hardware related issue. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@pbb13
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

• Have you tried with original RAM?
  • What happens when you start the computer?
  • Is your computer plugged directly into a wall outlet or is it plugged into a power strip?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, Echo Lake.  Thanks for replying.  I think I may have found the source of the problem,...has to do with the surface I was working on.  The problematic machine was in my bedroom; when I opened it up, I laid it on my bed as I had done several times before since it was a soft surface and would not scratch the screen.  After swapping out the RAM, it worked fine at first. Then I laid it on the bed the second time, and that's when it started acting up; power light would not stay on.  However, I had another identical machine downstairs and figured that, since I could not solve the problem in the one machine, I will just swap out the hard drive and memory into the backup, and that is what I did.  However, this time, I was working on a different surface.  I swapped out the hard drive and memory into the backup, tested it and it worked fine.  Problem solved.  So, I brought the functional backup machine back into my bedroom, laid it on my bed to tighten up the screws, set it up, and then to my surprise, when I plugged in the power, the backup machine did the same thing as the first machine:  plugged in the power, power light stayed on 7 or so seconds, then went out.  It had just worked fine 10 minutes earlier. The only common denominator that I can see now is that both machines went awry after I laid them on my bed to tighten the screws.  I am sick to the pit of my stomach,...Looks to me that I may have inadvertently blown them out with electrostatic discharge,...that is the only thing I can think of to explain why suddenly two identical machines stopped accepting power after being laid on my bed.  I am sick to my stomach,...don't know what to do about that or how to test it further.  What could have blown out to affect both machines like that?  I do appreciate your response.  Thanks again. 

HP Recommended

By the way, Echo Lake, I did try as you suggested.  I tried to turn the machine on during the brief time the power light was on, but there was no response.  I also tried three separate, identical adapters in two different sockets, one a power strip the other a wall socket.  No change.  I am sick,..I think I may have blown them out with ESD,....  Thanks again.

HP Recommended

@pbb13
Thank you for posting back.

This sounds like hardware related issue. Hence, I would request you to contact our Support and our Support Engineers should be able to sort this out.

HP Support can be reached by clicking on the following link: www.hp.com/contacthp/
Please feel free to contact us here anytime you need any further assistance. Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello again, Echo Lake,...I tend to agree with your assessment that this appears to be more of a hardware problem than a software issue.  I read on a few sites that ESD issues commonly disrupt CMOS, which can result in start up problems.  So, that is a place to start.  Thanx again for your assistance.  I will continue this discussion with your hardware people.  pbb13

HP Recommended

@pbb13

Have a great day!

Keep us posted for any other assistance on our product.

Take care!

Cheers:)

Raj1788
I am an HP Employee 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.