Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possible bios recovery problem?

Pavilion p6-2305eb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not sure if this post will be added to the thread of the same name but here goes...

I want to thank TheITGirl in particular for her fix for the dead computer problem.

My machine died on 29 December 2015 after a Win10 overnight update. I was lucky enough to have a full backup from the day before so data loss was minimal. The machine wouldn't boot: fans spun but no beeps, only a black screen and no way to start in safe mode, etc. I didn't have the time to mess about for hours/days trying to fix the problem and there was no alternative but to go straight out and buy another computer (not HP this time). A true "distress purchase".

Last week I decided to try again to resurrect the machine and luckily came across this thread.  It did take a few attempts but the machine came back to life. The most important thing was immediately to flash the BIOS with the driver referenced by TheITGirl. Machine has now run through updating Win10 and appears to be stable again.

While I know the machine is now "old" in HP terms, I find it absolutely unforgiveable that HP appears to have made no effort whatsoever to identify and post a fix for the problem, in fact when I used the HP Support Assistant to search for updates (driver, BIOS, etc) it claims no updates are available, which is patently not true. The BIOS version on the machine initially (for SSID 2ADA) was AMI 8.11, while the updated driver for this SSID is 8.2 Revision A.

There appear to be thousands of consumers who had this problem and who, like me, were obliged immediately to buy a new machine, a course of action that should have been unnecessary, as shown by the eventual successful recovery of the machine. Did anyone manage to have their unnecessary expense reimbursed by HP or Microsoft? Would be interested to hear.

And, once again, BIG kudos and thanks to TheITGirl!

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

there is no W10 support, for this PC , at HP.

sorry.

all your , rage is in the wrong direction,.

1: you did this your self and were wrong. (hummmmmm  could this be it?)

2: HP told you not  to upgrade it, the support pages SHOW clear as DAY, NO SUPPORT. for 10.

3: MS told you it's ok, (millions world wide crying eyes out on 100s of forums even MS..  for sure PCs older than 2007.

it's not #2... ok?

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

not one word, as to who, or what at HP told you w10 runs fully on this machine,

its not the support page at HP , it says NO.

I am not HP, and I am fully retired since 2009 from this industry. older than dirt,
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

deleted

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The BIOS version on the machine initially (for SSID 2ADA) was AMI 8.11, while the updated driver for this SSID is 8.2 Revision A.

You had me puzzled, when you "upgraded" from '11' to '2' -- I would rather have $11 than $2 in my pocket.  :generic:

Then, I checked:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-pavilion-p6-2300-desktop-pc-series/5295969/model...

and now understand that you installed '20', not '2' --- fun with numbers.  :Wink:

From that web-page: HP Compaq Consumer Desktop PC BIOS Update (ROM Family 2ADA)

there have been 3 BIOS updates issued since the computer was first manufactured:

8.20 Rev.A 3.7 MB Jan 12, 2015
8.19 Rev.A 3.6 MB Aug 11, 2014 
8.17 Rev. A 4.2 MB Nov 1, 2013 - Resolves boot issues when system configured with add-in graphics card.

I presume that '8.19' and '8.20' cumulatively contain all the fixes incorporated into '8.17'.

So, my question: is your system configured with an add-in graphics card?

Much too late now, but I wonder if removing that card, when still using the '8.11' BIOS, would have resolved your original problem?

P.S. That same web-page shows dates from "October 2012" for "original" device-drivers.

Thus, despite the Other Person claiming that your computer is from 2007, it is not -- it was manufactured in mid-2012.

Somewhere, I have read that HP computers manufactured after "mid-2013" have been validated by HP to be compatible with Windows 10.

So, it is unfortunate that your computer was manufactured just a few months earlier than that.

Also, if the HP Support web-site shows no device-drivers from Windows 10, it is a reasonable assumption that all the necessary device-drivers are included with Windows 10, thus making it "redundant" for HP's web-site to list those device-drivers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You seem to have a lot of rage within you , as well as too much time on your hands…

Facts for dummies: The machine was set up with Win 8.1 OS by HP in October 2013, I bought it a couple months later. So as mdklassen notes in his post subsequent to yours, HP-validated to be Win10 compatible. I accepted a Win10 upgrade. As you *might* know, drawing on your *50 yrs expertise*, Win10 self-installs updates. That’s what bricked the machine months later. HP should have, but did not, offer any practical support to recover the situation. I think that’s unreasonable when you have a machine that is just 2 years old and cost 500 bucks.

Again, my thanks to the other constructive posters in this thread.

You, sir, are a **bleep**.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 6
721 699 9 58
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

"HP-validated to be Win10 compatible"

how or what,   did that.?

• HP on the phone
  • HP direct (contacts link bottom left this page)
  • in these chat boxes. by anyone.?
  • HP Support agent, or Softpaq or other app ? name it?
  • HP support page (shows zero support w10)
  • who? or  what told you it works,  this w10,,,   why not say so.?

welcome to the W10 killed my PC club.

millions did, and failed, ever google that and LEARN WHY?

guess not.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

> The machine was set up with Win 8.1 OS by HP in October 2013, I bought it a couple months later.

•HP provides installation instructions, compatible software, and updated drivers for most computers sold after August 2013.

•If you purchased your computer prior to August 2013, HP has not tested or developed drivers for your computer model. Some features might not work, or the installation might not be successful.

> Win10 self-installs updates. That’s what bricked the machine months later.

> HP should have, but did not, offer any practical support to recover the situation.

If you had found this "user-to-user" forum at that time, you probably would have gotten useful suggestions.

Maybe, something along the lines:

* since you were running Windows 10, you have a "digital entitlement" to reinstall Windows 10, at any time, at no cost to you;

* remove the disk-drive (it probably was "out-of-warranty") that contains your personal files;

* purchase & connect a brand-new disk-drive (faster? larger capacity? SSD?);

* reinstall either the "generic" Microsoft Windows 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

or reinstall the original HP Windows 8, including all the HP-added applications, and then upgrade to Windows 10 for free;

* temporarily reconnect your original disk-drive as a secondary disk-drive, and copy your files from "old" to "new" disk-drive.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation