3 1 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Possible motherboard failure? Need help diagnosing

Example: PaviliPavilion p7-1517cb
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

My desktop failed to boot one day. I ran a memory test and a hard drive test via boot diagnostics. The hard drive came back with an error that said it had to be replaced. I installed a brand new SSD, re-installed Windows, it worked fine for two days, and then after powering it on the monitor never displays anything. The tower has power and all appears running but the nothing on the screen. If I pull the power cord out, let it sit for a minute, plug back in and turn it on, it would boot. Now as of late it says no boot device failed.

I checked the SSD power and connection cables and re-seated them.
I ran the hard drive test again, no issues found.

I ran the memory test, it failed. I removed on stick of memory, re-ran test, passed. I then put the other stick in and removed the first stick, memory test passed. I put both back in and memory test failed. I moved the two sticks into different bays and the memory test now passes.
Still, I am unable to get into the OS and I assume I need to rebuild that again. The memory test failures and the fact that sometimes it will boot to initial splash screen and other times it will not make me think something is wrong with the motherboard.

Any help is greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,515 22,458 2,056 4,903
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@NCANALE 

Sorry, but I don't have very good news for you ...

Certainly sounds like your motherboard is failing.  First problem with the drive sounds like the onboard disk controller was failing intermittently. Second problems sounds like some of your memory slots failed, or the onboard memory controller is also failing intermittently.

Unfortunately, I know of no tests you can download and run that will check out the components of a motherboard.  Those simply (AFAIK) are not available primarily because (1) they would be make, model, and version specific for each and every motherboard out there, and (2) except in gross cases (like replacing a socket), folks simply do not repair motherboards.

Additionally, the Windows license that came with your PC is tied to that motherboard.  If you replace it, you would have to go out and buy your own license, and since HP does not sell licenses, that would most likely be Retail.

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
Highlighted
3 1 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Even though this is bad news I sincerely appreciate your reply and expertise. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation