Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Powers up, shuts down 5 minutes later.

Envy 27-P014
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
The computer shuts down after 5 minutes. Pressing the power on button ,the computer stays on for 3 seconds, then powers down. It will not start, unless you wait many hours, disconnect the power, drain the caps, (Hold power button for 10 seconds with no power connected). I booted up into the bios, and stayed in the bios menu for 5 minutes, then the computer shuts down. I get the impression that the bios thinks the cpu is overheating, and automatically shuts down. There is nothing in the bios that shows cpu temp. , it only shows fan speed. The heat pipe from cpu to fan remains at room temp, it does not get warm, although it is only on for 5 minutes.
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since you have ruled-out the possibility of major overheating, it's probably the motherboard.

When it is "cold", all the electrical circuits are fine.

As the motherboard warms-up, one of the circuits "opens", as the motherboard expands/twists.

Visually, are all the capacitors looking "normal" - no bulging nor leaking?

How old is the computer?  Is its HP Warranty still valid?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

All caps appear to be in good shape. The warranty expired October of 2017. I also believe the MB is defective. I could not find how to order a replacement MB on this site. Thank you for replying.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,657
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Your computer: HP ENVY 27-p014 TouchSmart All-in-One Desktop PC Product Specifications

Product Number: M9Z75AA

Release Date: 1-Oct-2015

shows the opposite of what you want:

PC Board  -N/A-   797425-601  Motherboard - Bulldozer-US,INTEL SKL-S, W8Pro          

PC Board (Audio)  -N/A-   807497-001  Printed Circuit Assembly - Envy Audio Board          

PC Board (Graphics)  -N/A-   807495-001  PCA - Envy Converter Board, ENVY-CVB27          

PC Board (Interface)  -N/A-   752639-011  Wireless LAN - 11ac INT 7265 M.2 D0 MOW           
 PC Board (Interface)  -N/A-   807496-001  Printed Circuit Assembly - Envy Power button Board

namely "Not Available" for your 2015-vintage computer.

You may try searching on sites like eBay or Amazon or ...

-----------
Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation