Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
D936
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Pretty certain I need a new CMOS battery.

HP Recommended
Pavilion 6598
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Does anyone know the battery ID for this PC before I get under the bonnet please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,760 33,652 3,067 7,545
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@D936 

The BIOS battery is responsible for retaining power to the BIOS chip when the PC is turned off.

If you are losing the BIOS settings when you reboot the PC cold, or if the system clock is resetting to the default time, those are indicators that the BIOS battery needs to be replaced.

Most of these are CR2032s -- but yours might be different.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@D936 

The BIOS battery is responsible for retaining power to the BIOS chip when the PC is turned off.

If you are losing the BIOS settings when you reboot the PC cold, or if the system clock is resetting to the default time, those are indicators that the BIOS battery needs to be replaced.

Most of these are CR2032s -- but yours might be different.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
D936
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you WAWood for your prompt response which sums up my situation exactly.

I have replaced the battery (twice) - it was a CR2032, and it has resolved the date issue. However, whilst I can use the Boot menu screen to "save to CMOS" and boot up my machine which  then performs normally I have to do this each time I switch on.

This is, of course progress, but not perfect. In lay terms it seems as if it is not saving it at all or am I missing something.

If you are able to help me further I would be most grateful; if not thank you for your efforts to date.

0 Kudos
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@D936 

Sorry, but if you have a good CMOS battery and it is still NOT saving the settings, I don't know what to tell you as I have not personally encountered that problem.

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation