Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion p7-1423w Desktop PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Everyone,

I believe my computer did an automatic update the other night. The next night, I was surfing and my VPN got disconnected.  This was the first time that had ever happened, but it turned right back on. After a few minutes I got suspicious and decided to run a virus scan, but I had too many processes running at once. So I decided to restart the machine and do a virus check on startup, but I only got to the small HP logo.   Before, I've always been able to make it to the safe mode with networking to figure something out, or find a phone number for customer support, but it seems like my warranty is too out of date for any actual technical support time, and that makes me pretty angry.20210604_034630.jpg20210604_034639.jpg20210604_034646.jpg20210604_034702.jpg20210604_034708.jpg20210604_034723.jpg

I have these options in the attached photos. I have videos on my hard drive that I cannot lose.

Thank you,

K.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

While this scenario is frustrating, it might be just a Windows problem.  Before doing anything else run the diagnostic to verify the hard drive did not fail.

To run the Diagnostics routine, Start tapping the Esc key BEFORE starting the PC and then press the start button.
Keep tapping the Esc key until a popup menu shows. Then pick Diagnostics from that popup menu, F2.
Report back with the results.  Please report the findings accurately and the full results.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.