Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Purchased drive "drivelocked" after formatting

HP Z420 workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recently purchased a professionaly refurbished Z420, Windows Ten came sticker camne with it. I downloaded and installed 10 on the drive and it didn't play well with the Z420.

I "formatted" that drive before removing it from the machine so I could use it later. I took the drives from my old windows 7 machine and put them in and went through the driver thing and it runs swell. Good because I like the way win 7 handled all my old games already installed on those drives.

PROBLEM: When I go back to use the previously used HD it is locked. I installed the operating system on what was a fresh drive. I formatted that same drive to use later in a machine I purchased it with. When I go to use it in that same machinbe it locks up my entire coumputer so no boot at all. I get no message that I have a dualboot situation. I tried various ways to boot no luck. I take all drives out and place the original back in. 

Now it informs me that it is locked with the confounded HP lock system. I never ran HP lock on that drive. That drive was fresh and new as far as I could tell. It allowed me to install Win 10 on it and format it after, and somewhere along that time line HP crept in and locked the drive. I neved saw any warning, no popup windows, I accepted no agreements, formed no passwords but now have a 750GB paper weight thanks to "Drivelock". I was able to uncorrupt my other boot drive after many hours so that data wasn't lost. Thank goodness HP didn't decide to lock those drives as well.

Using all the third party tools I have available I can not even get the drive to show up except by placing it back in the system it was formatted in. So now I can not even wipe the drive thanks to "Drivelock" Quite insidious I think.

Reading all the forum replies to similiar problems I might assume that there will be no help forthcoming for me to salvage that drive. All the answers lead to what I have already attempted with the exception of the password which was never created, nor even known to have been created, by me.

So helpless and stolen from I feel, I thought I would let anyone that gets to see this post know what an AWESOME product "Drivelock" must be.

Oh, and if anyone knows how to fix my drive locked by HP witout my consent or knowledge please speak up. thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi

I guess you know more about this than me.

AKAIK the locker thing is a BIOS based idea.

The boot sequence has a BootLoader introduced that is "The BootLocker" and EVERYTHING goes thru that.

It's F10 and enter the BIOS password, then select the drive and disable Drivelock on it, WRITE down the password.

So if there is a BIOS password wanted you can try guessing it 3 times and getting a Code, then maybe someone here can offer help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I tried guessing it a bunch of times. But since I had no clue it was being locked to begin with that didnt get me very far.

I have read elsewhere other people have had this problem w/the Z420s. They were calling it HPs way of getting a service call right off.

I don't know why or how the drive locked, it was nothing I did. I have built a half dozen or more computers and used to teach basic skills and do repair work and I think I would know if I were being asked for a password. It is just a bad/faulty secure system and apparently some people get screwed w/it for no good reason. From what I have read HP is no help since it is a security feature.

I think it is just kind of crappy that I cannot get into that drive. I paid for it after all. I have tried booting it with other computers I have and it just shuts them down and reboots. I have tried the external USB system several different ways and it does not even show up even after Windows lets me know it's plugged with its lil beep.

So I guess I am just screwed on this one. I always had problems with HP machines and all their bloatware but this is a new one on me.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 9
5,904 5,889 204 520
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry I couldn't help.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation