Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Envy 23-k320ne
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

REPOSTING THIS QUESTION WITH AN AMENDED TITLE AS THE PREVIOUS ONE WAS REMOVED.

Background: A new software suite at my business requires Hyper-V (for which I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro last week); and Hyper-V requires that Hardware Virtualization be enabled, and that requires BIOS access. Well, the BIOS is password protected, and it wasn't me who did it. I got the device brand new, and have been it's sole user.

Ergo, the BIOS password has to be factory.

I spoke to the store I brought the device from, who directed me to ask the HP helpline who then proceeded to tell me that I had to replace THE ENTIRE MOTHERBOARD! I was told that up until a few years ago, HP would provide the password, but have recently stopped doing so for "security reasons".

Except, I am the owner of this device, and I have the proof of purchase with me!

Again, I purchased this device brand new about 5 years ago, have been it's sole user, and I haven't had any need to access the BIOS so far. The computer works just fine, so there's literally no reason to replace the motherboard!
I've been a happy customer of HP for as long as I can remember, but this recent episode has left me quite flabbergasted with HP's policies..

I need to enable Hardware Virtualization somehow, or the device is as good as junk to me!
I'm at my wits end here. Please help!

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

hi

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Need-the-BIOS-Password/m-p/7677549

sorry but you have an answer here !

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

If the BIOS is password protected, then the new policy is as @Prométhée  posted.  However, some features in the BIOS are locked, which is a different.  Not that it can be unlocked, but different than password protected.

If this is really bothering you, try looking at WimsBIOS.  Perhaps they can offer a solution, at a cost and outside of HP.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

As for what @Prométhée replied with, I am looking for a solution, and I found none. The "answer" on that thread basically told me that nothing could be done and then the thread was locked.

Again, all I need to to enable hardware virtualization. Please tell me how I do that.

The processor is an i7-4790T, which is capable of hardware virtualization.

HP Recommended

As I posted, if locked, we as a forum on HP are not allowed to give advice on that matter ant longer.  If you look at other sources, you may find help.

HP, and possibly other OEM's, locked some BIOS features on some, so not all models can open the portion of the BIOS that you need to be in to enable the virtualization.  And if the BIOS is locked, there is no other choice but what I mentioned.  Sorry

Just an FYI:  if the BIOS is password protected, most of the HP models will give you a code after trying to open the BIOS three consecutive  times.  If that is not happening, then perhaps it is not a password that is needed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.