Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop TG01-0006ur
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi everyone. Since the last couple of months i've been struggling with some random lockups. It doesn't really matter if i play games, watch youtube or browse the websites, at some point my machine just freezes and becomes unresponsive. The sound can just stop or rather go into loop, sometimes the mouse and keyboard lose power, and all i have to do is to hold power button. Usually it happens after 3-4 hours of using the system, but before i reinstalled Windows it could crash every 15-30 minutes of work. And after every of them the Event Viewer shows nothing but Kernel Error 41 (63), which only indicates unexpected reboot.

The machine is relatively fresh, it's the H370 board with i5-9400f CPU, GTX 1660 and 400W 80+ Platinum PSU. I did some upgrades while using it, such as replacing single 8 Gb 2666 stick with 2 8Gb HyperX Fury 2666 sticks, which have slightly lower timings even without XMP profile. Also i swapped both 256 Gb NVME SSD and 1 Tb hard drive for a single 500 Gb Crucial P1 NVME SSD, so the system now has no hard drives.

I've already tested the RAM (using Passmark MemTest86 and also the onboard HP UEFI diagnostic tool) and SSD (using Victoria and Crucial Storage Executive). Both ended up good. Like i said earlier, i've already reinstalled Windows. The previous verson was 2004, now it's the latest 20H2. The disk was formatted before reinstalling.

On both of Windows builds i've tried several commands like:
sfc /scannow

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

chkdsk c: /f /r /x
None of them have found any issues. I've also tried tweaking the Power Management (turning off sleep and all power saving options), but again with no luck.

Drivers don't seem to be the issue as well. I try to keep them updated, such as Windows itself. Both HP Support Assistant and Windows Update say my system is good to go, but some drivers, such as network card and NVME driver, i had to find on Realtek and Micron websites and install manually. The BIOS is F20, which is latest for this board. By the way it's pretty limited and i can't manage CPU C-States for example.

Also in the list of things i've already did is checking the power cables, replacing CMOS battery, inspecting both motherboard and PSU for poor solder joints and some other thing i can't remember. I really don't know what to do at this point, so if you have any suggestions, please welcome.

P.S. Almost forgot to say that i'm using it with Wi-Fi 100% of the time since i don't have an Ethernet plug anywhere near my desk. Once i tried removing Wi-Fi completely and using my Android phone as a USB modem, but that didn't help either.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Your PC is new. Are you in warranty?

You have performed extensive tests to check the system. Kudos!

The only remaining thing I can think of is to check thermals using HWinFo, Prime95, and the Unigine Heaven benchmark.

MemTest86 is a good utility. I would still try one stick of memory in each memory slot to see if the PC will  continue to freeze.

I would tend to think you have a hardware problem.

I would use the warranty option if you can't isolate the problem.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately it ran out of warranty couple of months ago.

I don't really think it's about thermals simply because most of the time system freezes while watching youtube, or even in desktop while idling. 

Usually i play games with MSI Afterburner overlay and i can say for sure that both CPU and GPU temps never reach 70°C under load. It can run games just fine for several hours straight, but sometimes it freezes in games as well, and temps at this moment are relatively ok. 

I'll try using each of RAM sticks separately like you suggested, but something tells me they are not an issue. 

Again thanks for the reply. 

HP Recommended

Ok, it's been a while since the last post and what i did is i took a stick of standard green 4 gig 2400 MHz stick of GoodRam, which was lying around, and put it instead of my Fury sticks. And with this stick being the only RAM in the PC it was running flawlessly for about a week or so. 

What i also did is giving my Fury sticks to my buddy so he could test them on his Ryzen 3500X PC. And again after a couple of days he reported that there were no issues whatsoever. I asked him to test the RAM a little bit more just to be sure.

So if you ask me there are some compatibility issues between this board and this particular RAM. Maybe it's because of the lower timings, but who knows. Next i think i'll order a kit of regular green 2666 MHz RAM, not a big deal since i need RAM for my another PC anyway. And if it will work fine in the HP, i guess i'll stick with this kit instead of Furys.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.