Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
p7-1039 desktop
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

My p7-1039 desktop is driving us nuts because it freezes up at random times with no warning, whether or not we are actively using it after boot up. Cursor sometimes freezes after awhile even if no one touches or uses the mouse! I have tried to run the hp support assistant and can't even get to a point where the tests and diagnostics are finished!  I ran the Performance Tuneup Check and it crapped out at 79% finished...  Checked the BIOS version, which is 6.07, dated 5/4/2011.  How can I speak to a LIVE PERSON for help??  Earlier today this computer was running great; faster than usual and then again it decided to completely lock up.  No way out except a cold reboot.  No error messages.  64 bit Windows 7 is up to date/ service pack 1.  Tried the hp "virtual chat" which wasn't much help.  Using the F2 key at startup did nothing, but F9 ran a basic check and everything passed.

I have no confidence that any diagnostics will run to completion, so what next??

Scott

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

Try running HP Diagnostics at boot time. (Link). You want HP Vision Diagnostics. Download on a different PC. Create bootable media. Or try tapping "ESC" at boot to run diagnostics from the HDD if it is available. Then select HP hardware diagnostics from the HP Startup Menu.

The symptoms you are seeing can be caused by the following:

1. Corrupt system files. Run a check disk (Link to instructions).

2. Possible malware. Run some offline malware scans to check for this issue.

3. Failing memory. See running HP Diagnostics above.

4. Failing HDD. See running HP Diagnostics above.

Look, other hardware failure can also cause intermittent symptoms. You would also have to look at the power supply as a possible cause. The CR2032 motherboard battery should probably be replaced with a new battery.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.