Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: Hp pavillion dv6 will not run windows on start up

windows
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

where can one obtain his product key for windows 7 if windows fails to start on start up, and the product key is too faded on the sticker on the back of the laptop ads it is 8yrs old?

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
22,547 22,490 2,058 4,911
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DNNTKR68

Sorry, but HP keeps no records of individual product keys associated with individual PCs, so there is no way to get your product key from HP.

Here is a utility you can download and run that will attempt to retrieve your existing product key:  Download Windows OEM Product Key Tool 1.0.0.1 

But ... in order to use that, you need a working Windows session and it appears, at present, you don't have that.

So, as an alternative, there is a version of Windows known as WinPE - Windows Preinstallation Environment. This is a minimal Win32 operating system with limited services, built on the Windows Vista kernel. It is used to prepare a computer for Windows installation, to copy disk images from a network file server, and to initiate Windows Setup.

While Windows costs money, folks on the Internet provide WinPE images for free.  So, if you can find an image, download it to a working PC, and burn bootable media from it, you have something you can boot Windows from in order to do the HP BIOS updates.

Here is a thread linking to several free utilities that provide WinPE:  https://www.raymond.cc/blog/5-system-rescue-boot-disc-based-on-windows-pe/

Once you have that bootable media, you can use it to boot into WinPE, and from there, you can run the product key utility.

Good Luck

***If my post helped, click the White thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
0 Kudos
Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for your reply sir. Upon further review on the poor ole hp dv6 Noptebook, it doesn't even have a usb/dvd deviicd in my options to boot from. It gives me 2 choices, Notebook Hard Drive, or Network adapter which i have tried both. I have also tried to do a system recovery, it gives me the windows 7 choice, and on the tools my only option is a  windows memory diagnostic. when i press the f8 function key, it gives me the advanced boot options

repair your computer

Safe Mode

Safe Mode with Networking

Safe Mode with Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging

Enable low-resolution video (640x480)

Last Know Good Cofiguration(advanced)

Directory Services Restore Mmode

Debugging Mode

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Windows Normally

i have tried every one of these and upon each try it comes back to the same error again. When i press the f11 key for system recovery, I get the error:

BOOTMGR is missing

Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart.

I think i have just about exhausted all of my options here, other than a factory reset?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DNNTKR68

If this DV6 still has its original hard drive, then the error message you are getting about no boot manager is almost certainly an indication that the hard drive has failed or is failing.  IF that is the case, then no factory reset is going to work because that needs (1) intact recovery partition, (2) working hard drive.

If your PC is new enough to support UEFI, you can use these steps to test the hard drive: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00439024

If not, you have to follow these steps:
1) Press Esc key repeatedly, several times a second, while rebooting the laptop. Do NOT hold the key down, just press it over and over.
2) Eventually, you will see an HP Startup Menu -- that will look similar to the image below ...

HP Startup Menu.jpg 

3) press the Function key for testing the hard drive (usually F2) and let it run.

Please report back the test results.

Highlighted
5 3 0 0
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you sir. I have performed all of the quick and extensive memory and hard drive tests and everything came back passed. I can actually get to the boot optiins menu, and i only have 2 choices, Notebook hard drive, and Network Adapter. I have went in to the BIOS menu, hit f9 to restore defaults, still the error. When I go to Boot Options, it says CD-ROM-enabled, Floppy Boot-enabled, Internal Network Adapter-enabled. Those are the only options there. When I go to Boot ORder, I have switched them around to make sure either the Notebook Hard Drive or NAetwork Adapter are the 1st ones. Still get the same error on startup. When I do a network boot, it says Realtek PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller Series v1.17

PXE-E61: Media test Failure, check cable

PXE-M0F Exiting PXE ROM.

I can also get to the Boot Manager through f9 key. It gives me Boot Option Menu. I only have 2 choices. Notebook Hard Drive, and Network Adapter. That is it. When I hit the f11 key for system recovery, that is where I get the error BOOTMGR is Missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. I can also get to the Advanced Boot Options:

Repair Your Computer

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Enable Boot Logging
Enable low-resolution video(640x480)
Last Known Good Configuration(advanced)
Directory Service Restore Mode
Debugging Mode
Disable automatic restart on system failure
Disable Driver Signature Enforcement

Start Window Normally

Sir I am 100% certain I have tried everyone of those options to no avail. Any other advice or help is always greatly appreciated.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@DNNTKR68

OK, if only System Recovery failes, then that indicates that the Recovery information has become corrupted, over time, also, indications are that the Windows boot loader files have become corrupted, as well.

You will need access to a working PC for this step in order to create the media needed to repair your PC boot loader.

You will need to create something known as a Win7 Repair CD.  This will repair the boot loader files, and if that is the problem, your PC will boot OK after that.  This can be obtained (for a fee) from this link:  http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/windows-7-system-repair-discs/

When you download this file, it will be an ISO file.

To make a bootable CD from it, you will need to download and install ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/

Once you have that installed, run it, select the option "Write image file to disc" and select the ISO file you downloaded, and point it to a blank CD.

To make a bootable USB stick from it, you will need to download and install RUFUS: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Once you have that, run it, in the Device entry, use the pulldown to select the USB stick.  Down near the bottom right, where is says "Create a bootable disk using", select the ISO file you downloaded.
-------------------------------------

Boot from the media you created, and follow the directions in this link: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/681-startup-repair.html

You will probably have to run Startup Repair three times for it to fix all the boot loader problems.

When done, your PC should boot OK. If it does not, there is a more serious problem.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation