• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Re: New unit overheating Pavilion 595-p0084

I have the same HP model, and also purchased it just about 2 months ago.  I also have the exact same problem, and get the same screen message when I restart the computer after if fails.    

I would sure be nice if someone has an answer for us.  If you find a solutions, please let me know.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I just advised my client to contact Besy Buy and HP directly. If you do the same please advise. I'll update with any news. Aprrently this forum is not really monitired by HP as they have made no contact with me. 

MIke R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Mike - 

I posted the overheating question on the Buy Buy site, and and HP person did reply.  But I did not find the reply useful.  He said that the overheating issue is primarily a matter of usage.  If usage is high, the system could overheat and shut down.  He made two suggestions.  One is to install a graphics card as this would reduce the load on the motherboard and CPU, and second was to install addtional ventilation.  I am running with two monitors.  The first connects to the provided  hdmi port, and the second uses one of the computers USB ports alolng with a USB to HDMI converter.   In my prior computer I had a graphcis card that supported most processing to drive the two monitors, but for the new HP this load in on the montherboard and CPU.   But I also can get this overheat shutdown when I just have power on and I am not using the computer.  

I have just installed the Core Temp program which shows the temperature of each CPU core and has an option to keep a log of temperatures.   It is set to post a log record every 10 seconds, but since this has been installed and running (now about two days), I have not had another shut down.   Hopefully this program will tell something when it next shuts down. Currently as I use the computer the CPU cores are individually normally running between 30 and 40 degress centigrade, and I think this is OK as it is within the posted max of 100 C. degress.   It also seems that when you click to start logging, it only logs for what looks to be an hour and then you need to click again to log.   Maybe I need to know more about the program.  But regardless I will start logging as often as I remember so as to hopefull find out more when it fails.

A freind suggested that there may be a newer driver for the BIOS, but the HP person did not mention this.

If I find out any more, will let you know.  If you find out any more, please let me know.

Regards,

Paul

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 5 0 0
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Good day Paul and thank you for your reply and info. 

I've been at this 18 years and any Desktop in this price range should be able to run at 100% CPU. So asking us to upgrade is not an option and this unit as yours already has a second fan in the rear of the case. BTW you can add all the fans you want, the CPU is still going to run at the same temps possibly a scooch less, not enough to make any difference. 

As for monitoring the core CPU temp, sure it may indicate what we already know, it's running to hot!. that's not our problem, it's HP's. 

Now as  my client, she and I have spoken to Best Buy and now HP directly. All BB wanted to do was send it back to HP. HP has advised they will replace the fan on the CPU at a cost of $50.00. As an alternative they offered her the extended warranty. 

Because we have a configuration of programs and data files split amongst the SSD and the SATA drive I do not want to have to rebuild the pc from scratch if it came down to it. So we choose to go with ext warranty and let HP come out and replace the fan. Personally I would be willing to bet the farm this will make no difference. My visual inspection indicated the fan was running at sufficient rpm and physically touching the CPU cooler I felt no excessive heat. I've had my hands on many! But hey, I could be wrong. Wee shall see. 

Once again thank you for your input. 

MIke R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
7 6 0 2
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi Mike - -

Since my last posting, I have contacted HP Chat Support, and the person there was very understanding and helpful to address my overheating issue.   This chat was over two weeks ago.  During the chat, with my permission, they took control of my system (I could see what they were doing), and they ran serveral tests.  They determined that the problem was caused by the BIOS.  With my permission, they took the steps needed to update my BIOS which included a change to the cooling policy.   

Since this change over two weeks ago, my computer is runing fine.   I was previously failing periodically, and since the update there have been no more issues.   I am hoping that I am not speaking to soon, but right now, it looks like the BIOS update did the job.

Regards,

Paul

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation