Level 1
16 5 0 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboot while installing windows 10 home on new hard drive

Example: Pavilion 500-164
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Have an older HP 500-164 that the Hard drive crashed so I purchased a new WD Blue 1TB SATA. Got a new USB Windows 10 Home for install but the PC contunies to reboot into the setup screen. The HD is set at GPT and secure boot. Not sure where to go from here. Thank You

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
9,983 9,979 937 2,733
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Just curious, did you pick the GPT or did Windows 10 install?  GPT is more for a newer motherboard BIOS that uses UEFI.  That motherboard /PC came with Windows 8 but it might not like the GPT environment.  For a 1TB disk, MBR is OK.  See if it will run OK in that scenario.

Also, if that PC had Windows 10 installed before the disk crash, it was not necessary to purchase a new Windows 10.  You could have installed using the M$ Media Creation tool

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media" and follow the directions.  Then reinstall Windows 10 using that new media.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the thumbs up to give Kudos! " >.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 1
16 5 0 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Has been solved, it had a new HD but the same motherboard and tried and tried to use the media creation but did not work. I Found that the piece I was missing was deleatign the partitions that were showing up during install. After deleatign these 2 partitions, everythign went smooth.

Thank you 

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation