Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboots randomly

285 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have one of these which keeps rebooting randomly, have disabled automatic restart but not getting any BSOD or any other messages.

System logs just show 'Unexpected shutdown'

I have 4 of these from new from November last year so only a few months old but still just one which has had this problem.

3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboots randomly

>  I have 4 of these from new from November last year so only a few months old

> but still just one which has had this problem.

Presumably, each HP computer came with a HP warranty.  Contact HP, and submit a warranty-claim, to get it repaired/replaced.

If you purchased a brand-new automobile, and it had problems within the first year, would you fix it, or would you contact the dealer?  There's no reason for you to avoid contacting HP.

See the "contact HP" hyperlink at the bottom-left of this web-page.

-----------

Welcome to this forum.

Please click the purple/white "Thumbs Up" icon for every response that is helpful.

Also, please click "Accept As Solution" for the best response.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboots randomly

Thanks for your reply...

I get your point but a computer is much differnt from a car in the fact that it could just be a driver that needs updating or settings on certain models/serials need changing.

I'd much rather spend half an hour fixing the computer than spend what could be a couple of days to backup, return and resetup a new PC.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Reboots randomly

I get your point but a computer is much differEnt from a car in the fact that it could just be a driver that needs updating or settings on certain models/serials need changing.

I'd much rather spend half an hour fixing the computer than spend what could be a couple of days to backup, return and resetup a new PC.

Indeed, swapping parts between "identical" computers is much easier than owning two "identical" automobiles, and swapping parts between the two.

If you're set on doing your own trouble-shooting, you can swap disk-drives between the "bad" and one of the "good" computers.  Does the problem "move" with the disk-drive, or does the problem "stay" with the motherboard?

If you're set on doing your own trouble-shooting, you can swap RAM between the "bad" and one of the "good" computers.  Does the problem "move" with the RAM, or does the problem "stay" with the motherboard?

If you're set on doing your own trouble-shooting, you can swap power-supplies between the "bad" and one of the "good" computers.  Does the problem "move" with the power-supply, or does the problem "stay" with the motherboard?

Summarize your results, and you should be able to determine the "bad" component.

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation