Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
envy 750-160qe
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After nearly two years of trying, I finally was able to get my computer to dual boot Win 10 and Linux Mint.  My PC booted to the Grub2 menu in Legacy mode.  During the last week, I downloaded most all the Mint applications I needed and set Windows as the default OS on the bootloader.

A few minutes ago I installed a Windows update.  Now my PC boots directly to Windows, bypassing Grub2, and I have no way to access my other OS.

Getting my PC to dual boot has been very frustrating.  Knowing nothing about UEFI, I crashed my PC twice attempting a dual boot.  After finally succeeding, I am again unable to access both Windows and Linux on my computer.

Can someone help me re-establish my dual boot capability?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

They ( HP ) does allow some models a similar choice  at purchase.  A few models can be purchased with FreeDOS instead of Windows, but those are few.  The majority of users would not be interested in a choice of OS at purchase, so that is most likely not going to be offered for a "few".   Of course the user is free to remove Windows and install a different OS, or purchase an Off Lease unit and install whatever.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

While a Windows update does not usually cause the bootloader any problems, give EasyBCD a try. 

http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/

Assuming the Linux OS is still  actually there and working, it probably is only a simple fix.  I have not needed to use EasyBCD for quite some time, but it claims to be dual boot friendly and there is a free version.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion.  I never used EasyBCD, but I read some cautions not to use it very early in my attempts at dual booting.  Most of the reviews were positive and I will consider it.  Often some very good "free" software gets bundled with junk.  

If anyone has had a recent positive experience with EasyBCD, let me know and I'll give it a try.

HP Recommended

I tried easyBCD as suggested.  It reported I was in the "EFI" mode.  After losing my GRUB2 capability I put my pc into "UEFI" mode since I was not able to access Linux anymore.  I reverted to Legacy mode and verified I was in Legacy and that fast boot was disabled.  Again easyBCD reported I was in "EFI" mode.

I am assuming EFI, Secure Boot and UEFI are interchangeable terms as used here.  My HP desktop PC is one that requires entry of a 4 digit code to disable secure boot and enable Legacy mode.  

HP Recommended

I recommended EasyBCD because it is supposed to sort those things out.  Of course, it you know how to use Grub, it should work for the dual boot.  Whatever rewrote the bootloader for Windows obviously wiped out the Grub loader.

Take a look at this thread where that author does not like EasyBCD either.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/666631/how-can-i-dual-boot-windows-10-and-ubuntu-on-a-uefi-hp-notebo...

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the link.  I may have seen it before.  It involves reinstalling Windows.  I backed up my files before trying easyBCD.  I will only reinstall Windows again if it is ABSOLUTELY necessary.  I did learn that fast boot and fast startup are different things.  I had fast boot disabled and discovered fast startup in the power settings was not disabled.

Also, some of the replies indicated that the technique was not robust against windows updates.  I would like to see HP offer a USB stick that would (when inserted)  allow user choice of installed operating systems and Windows otherwise.

HP Recommended

They ( HP ) does allow some models a similar choice  at purchase.  A few models can be purchased with FreeDOS instead of Windows, but those are few.  The majority of users would not be interested in a choice of OS at purchase, so that is most likely not going to be offered for a "few".   Of course the user is free to remove Windows and install a different OS, or purchase an Off Lease unit and install whatever.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I appreciate your effort to help.  Enabling/disabling Secure Boot on an HP desktop is different from every other computer I have researched on the web.  I have observed Windows updates causing my aggravation that disappears after a subsequent update.  Maybe I'll be able to establish dual booting capability after the next update.  

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.