cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
    Information
    Know the Benefits of your HP account

Connect with HP support faster, manage all your devices in one place, view warranty information and more– Click Here

Information
    Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Red power light instead of green

HP Recommended
HP elite 8200 SFF
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I have had hard time booting HP elite 8200 SFF. I tried to add a new hard drive but bootiing did not succeed. I then removed the added drive, but the system refused booting. power on/off many times without it booting but then suddenly it vooted to win10. The computer then worked but then hibernated. I tried to start it, but it refused.

I managed to get it working again but now the power led is red. It should be green. I disabled windows10 fast boot after this. No help. Still power is red.

My system has no UEFI.

What is wrong? Can someone please help a little.

1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,665
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  I managed to get it working again but now the power led is red. It should be green.

Correct.  You have a "hardware" problem:

* failing power-supply, or,

* failing motherboard, or,

* failing processor.

It would be easiest to temporarily connect a different power-supply.

It's definitely more work to disassemble the computer, to remove the processor, to swap-in a different/compatible one, and to reassemble.

It's a huge amount of work to fully disassemble the computer, to remove the motherboard, to find (HP? eBay?) a compatible motherboard, to swap it in, and to reassemble.

Is the computer still under the HP warranty?  How old is it?

If not, how much can you afford to pay a computer technician to do some/all of the above?

Should you divert that money towards the purchase of a new computer?

If it is running Windows 7, note that Microsoft will terminate all support for Windows 7 in January 2020 -- just over 2 years away.  At that time, you will need to purchase a new computer.

Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation