Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 595-p0084
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hopefully someone else has encountered this.  I was getting this machine ready for use and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and then installed a video card for a second screen.  After that the machine does not start up.  I removed the video card.  Now the light on the power switch does not light, the fans start as soon as the machine is plugged in, the power switch cannot turn the machine off and the power seems to just cycle every few seconds.  I cannot get the machine to respond with F10 to get past any secure boot issues.  I have removed the CMOS and put it back in.  I have reseated and replugged in every board and cord in the machine.  Any clues?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi,

You have done all of the basic troubleshooting you can do at this point.

You would have to start replacing components. I would guess something happened to the motherboard.

You should be in warranty. I would contact HP Support (Link) for warranty service.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks.  Spoke to support (for an hour) and they informed me that they will not honor the warranty because I put a video card in and upgraded to Windows 10 Pro, regardless of whether the motherboard is defective.  This only leaves me the option of replacing the motherboard myself.  Just ordered one.

FYI - they said that had I called them before installing the video card and doing the Windows 10 Pro upgrade my warranty would have been preserved - I have never heard of anything like that (and I have used PC's since 1984). 

I guess I will consider this a learning experience and think twice before purchasing another HP product.

HP Recommended

Hi DTB33,

Wow, HP would not honor the warranty.

You could have shipped the PC to HP without the video card. HP would have reimaged the PC back to the factory operating system after fixing it.

I was guessing the motherboard may have failed.  I would not want to see you buy a motherboard if it is not necessary.

It could be something else. The symptoms you described and the troubleshooting you did seems to point to this part.

PCs are complex devices.

I would test each component and then try to boot. Just connect a monitor to onboard graphics.

The power switch or the wiring from the switch could be at fault. The motherboard power switch header could also have failed.

I would have tried a different power supply to eliminate that as the cause.

See if you can get any POST error codes or beeps by:

Remove all RAM. Then try to boot.

Disconnect SATA devices. Try to boot.

Disconnect front USB and card reader.

You are slowly working your way to the motherboard and processor.

Then you would try a known good motherboard. Processor failure is very unusual unless it was fried by motherboard or power supply failure. You can damage a processor (especially AMD because the pins are on the CPU) when installing or removing this part from the motherboard.

Regards

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestions.  I had tried most of what you mentioned during the initial troubleshooting and had the same symptoms.  Even disconnecting the power switch, the power kept cycling as soon as it was plugged in.  I tried with all other cables disconnected and same symptoms.  The only time the fans would not spin as soon as power was connected was when the CMOS battery was removed or the power to the motherboard was disconnected.  All evidence points to the motherboard - and if the new board doesn't fix it then it is returnable.  Had I sent it to HP they wanted to charge for the diagnostics and whatever parts were required.  So if it is the motherboard I have saved money and, if not, then I have just wasted some of my time.

HP Recommended

Hi - 

Received the new motherboard, popped it in and it started right up.  Had to spend 40 minutes on the phone with Microsoft to get my Windows 10 Pro re-activated but they were quite professional.

d

HP Recommended

Hi DTB33,

Great!

Good to hear you are back in business.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.