Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

How do I ascertain what is an add-on program or HP software.

After clicking "uninstall a program", you'll see a table listing all the installed programs, including the manufacturer of each program, e.g., "Symantec" or "Adobe" or "HP" or "Microsoft".  Read the name of each program, e.g,. "HP Support Assistant", for a further "hint" of the classification of each program.

HP Recommended

I have looked on the back and there are no LED lights there.

I have looked at the HP "specifications" page for your model of computer, and there is a diagram showing all "back I/O ports", which documents the existence of the LED.

HP Recommended

Done that but no information says it is an add on

HP Recommended

I might be a bit slow but I do not see any details about an LED on the back of the computer

HP Recommended

Done that but no information says it is an add on

Correct. 

You have to make your own analysis, given the information in the rows in the table.

If you don't know which is an "add-on", how can you blame the HP add-on programs for causing your symptoms?

If your automobile won't start, don't blame the leather seats. :generic:

Can you please use the Windows Snipping Tool to make a screen-capture of that table, and post that image into this forum?

Have you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics?

HP Recommended

I might be a bit slow but I do not see any details about an LED on the back of the computer

From: https://support.hp.com/doc-images/710/c04684376.jpg

Do you see the "light-bulb" icon to the left of the #2 hole?

HP Recommended

The problem occured after a notification from HP that my PC needed a restart, which I did. I have made no changes or installed any other software, so I think I am entitled to blame the manufacturer.:smileyhappy:

HP Recommended

Yes - thank you for clarification - so small !!!! 

HP Recommended

The problem occured after a notification from HP that my PC needed a restart, which I did.

I have made no changes or installed any other software, so I think I am entitled to blame the manufacturer.

Shrove Tuesday, February 13, 2018, was the "Second Tuesday" of the month.

Microsoft releases security-updates at 10 AM Pacific every month, on the "Second Tuesday".

So, it probably was those updates, from Microsoft, not from HP, that notified you that the restart was required.

Note that those updates install "automatically" -- you don't have to take the initiative to install the updates.

Have you run the HP Hardware Diagnostics?

HP Recommended

Yes - thank you for clarification - so small !!!! 

Launch "Windows Update" on your computer. 

Click on "show installed updates", to see which updates Microsoft installed on "Second Tuesday".

You could try "uninstall updates", to see if a "roll-back" will eliminate the symptoms.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.