Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello, 

I recently bought second hand hp Z840 workstation for my cad applications. As soon as I turned on the machine, the custom splash logo (from an organization) appeared instead of the hp logo that I expected. It is quite annoying for me. I tried so many ways to hide the current logo and show the original splash logo, but it hasn't been successful yet. I see a post on this hp community web page from this link

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-z-series-workst... .

Even though it was said an accepted solution, the DOS commands are not working when I tried. I updated Bios with latest version which came out in 2021. Can anybody help me out with this? May be I am not good at coding in DOS mode. Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Nathan_Burma -- the DOS commands are not working when I tried

Character for character, what command did you enter?

Exactly what error-message was produced after you pressed ENTER ?

P.S. There seems to be at least one "typo" in that other discussion thread.  That does not help!

HP Recommended

I started with change directory, so in the dos mode,

At the very first prompt, I failed. my USB boot name is drive I,

so , I type C:\> cd I

and then it said, CHDIR failed for 'I'

Could you please point out the possible codes shown in other post? Thanks.

HP Recommended

hi

check this

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/Using-HP-s-CustomL...

--------------------------------------------- Signature ---------------------------------------------
was this reply helpful , or just say thank you ? Click on the yes button

Please remember to mark the answers this can help other users
please click on the accept as solution button if message provided an answer to the problem

Desktop-Knowledge-Base
Windows 11 22h2 inside , user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HP Recommended

@Nathan_Burma --   At the very first prompt, I failed. my USB boot name is drive I,  

so , I type C:\> cd I

and then it said, CHDIR failed for 'I'

At the prompt, if you just press the ENTER key, you will see a "prompt", namely "C:\ >".

That is the prompt that tells you that your computer is ready to accept the next command.

So, just type:     I:     and press ENTER.

The prompt will change, namely to "I:\ >", to indicate that you are now working against the "I:" drive-letter.

Your next input could be something like   CD directory_name     followed by the ENTER key.

The next prompt becomes  "I:\directory_name  >", to indicate that you are now working in the "directory_name" folder on the "I:" drive-letter.

From the other thread:

At DOS prompt, change directory to *:\DOSFlash (* is the Flash Drive root drive letter)

So, the commands you need to enter are:

1. I:
  2. CD DOSFlash

in order for that folder on your USB device to become the current "working-folder".

HP Recommended

In my computer, USB drive is known as Drive: I, but in the DOS mode when I type in I: as you said, I see the message 'Invalid drive I:.'. So can't go any further.

HP Recommended

Hi, I got an error message saying that 'Clear-HPFirmwareBoot' Logo command was found in the module 'HP, Firmware, but the module could not be loaded.

HP Recommended

@Nathan_Burma -- I am guessing that when Windows is running, your USB stick is assigned as "I:".

But, when you boot from the USB stick, it is assigned a different drive-letter.

So, just experiment:

1. Enter one "D", then one "colon"  (if I type the "D" followed by the "colon", this web-site changes the 2 characters to a "sad-face" emoji)
  2. Press Enter
  3. Enter DIR
  4. Press Enter
  5. If the "directory-listing" produced by the above DIR command shows some of the files on your USB stick, you have success.
  6. Otherwise, enter E:
  7. Repeat #2 through #5
  8. If no success, enter F:
  9. Repeat #2 through #5
  10. If no success, enter G:
  11. Repeat #2 through #5
  12. If no success, enter H:
  13. Repeat #2 through #5
  14. If you notice that there is a pattern to this madness, above, keep going all the way to entering Z:  --- or until you achieve success.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Yeah, It shows as drive C, a bit weird, when I type dir, it showed Directory of C:\ and all of my files in USB drive. But I can't change the directory to USB drive letter. I type as you mentioned earlier (CD DOSFlash), it doesn't work.

HP Recommended

@Nathan_Burma -- when I type dir, it showed Directory of C:\ and all of my files in USB drive. But I can't change the directory to USB drive letter. 

It makes some sense that you see your USB files on "C:", because you booted from the USB.

When running Windows, insert the USB memory-stick. Persumably, it will become the "I" drive-letter.

View the folder-names in the "root-directory" of that drive-letter. 

Do you see a folder named "USBFlash" ?

If you do not see it while running Windows, you will not see it after booting from that USB memory-stick.

This implies that the instructions given in that other discussion-thread are not 100% accurate for your situation. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.