Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Pavilion HPE h8-1120
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I put in a new Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC edition pci-express video card.  When I boot, the computer beeps once as usual but then the screen stays on the blue hp startup screen, and about 25 seconds after the initial beep I get ONE SHORT BEEP, and then 3 more QUICK SHORT BEEPS. 

Nothing in hp's support section about beep codes has anything like that.   What does the beep code I get mean?  I need to know so I can AT LEAST diagnose the problem.

I have tried reseating the video card and RAM several times and still nothing.  I've had no problems with this computer until now.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The reason for the beep code happening is the video card.  It would be expected as that motherboard does not like the newer video cards.  Here is a thread that mentions the type video card that will work.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Graphic-card-compatibility-with...

IMHO, remove the Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC and reinstall the GeForce GT 530.  That should resolve the beeping until a suitable card is installed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

The reason for the beep code happening is the video card.  It would be expected as that motherboard does not like the newer video cards.  Here is a thread that mentions the type video card that will work.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Graphic-card-compatibility-with...

IMHO, remove the Zotac GTX 1050Ti OC and reinstall the GeForce GT 530.  That should resolve the beeping until a suitable card is installed.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

TheOldMan, THANK YOU so much!  It would have taken me a lot of internet searching to discover this for myself.  I wondered if that was the problem, as I do have a fair amount of hardware experience.  

I'm just going to get a more modern motherboard that's compatible with newer video cards and pop that baby in.

HP Recommended

You are welcome.  Using a retail motherboard will most likely solve the graphics card problem, just be careful in the choice that is made.  You will probably look for one that uses the present CPU , memory and case.

Keep in mind that Windows 7, if that is what will continue, will most likely complain about the motherboard change.  If the COA sticker is still readable, then you might need to use the product key afterwards.

I'm not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

yes, I've already encountered the problem of the rarity of LGA 1155 compatible motherboards, as 1151 seems WAY more common now.  Perhaps it's time to get an entirely new computer.  The sad thing, aside from the extra cost, is that buying a new computer will leave me with an old but viable computer that I can sell for a mere pittance if anyone will even buy it.  It's all so wasteful

HP Recommended

Yes I agree.  " buying a new computer will leave me with an old but viable computer that I can sell for a mere pittance if anyone will even buy it.  It's all so wasteful"

You could always try locating a viable retail motherboard of the same time frame as the old PC was made, that uses the CPU and memory, then buy a "new or still working" motherboard from EBay.  I have done that to avoid making a whole new build.  Then many times will have some old new stock or refurbished motherboards.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.