Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Compaq 4000 Pro Small Form Factor PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hello, I have trouble finding a solution for this issue, I hope you can help me.

A week ago I was working in my computer as usual and then Windows Update asked me to make several updates, I always made them and had no trouble. It turned off correctly. Next day when I turned on the computer it didn't start correctly, after the boot menu the screen turned completely white.

Looking for information with a friend, I decided to reinstall Windows since I have the System Recovery Disc 1 & 2. But then the system asked me for a "setup password" (I didn't set a password on BIOS) during boot. I read the manual and found out about the jumper (it's a small piece of plastic, green and with 2 small pins named PSWD), I followed instructions for jumper removal and reboot. It changed something, because now the screen shows an error that says "162 system options not set", and I can't access setup with F10 because it asks for a "power-on password" and says 01/04/1980 (I didn't set this password either).

So, looking for more information, I tried removing the battery (the one that looks as a coin) for about 2 hours, I didn't work, I followed instructions with care, but nothing changes. If I press any key... F1, F2, F9, F10... doesn't work. The systems keeps asking for the "power-on password".

The warranty expired time ago, but I want to know if there's something I can do to solve this.

I appreciate your time and help in this issue.

Thank you.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

> I tried removing the battery (the one that looks as a coin) for about 2 hours, I didn't work

> The warranty expired time ago.

Have you tried replacing the "old" battery, under the assumption that it too has "expired" ?

Then, try again with that "CMOS reset" jumper, if necessary.

Is there a PSWD ("password") jumper, near the CMOS jumper?

HP Recommended

Hello!

Thank you for posting an answer.

Yes, I recently replaced the battery. But it didn't remove the power-on password.

I don't know what you mean with "CMOS reset" jumper, I only have one jumper, is green and is named PSWD.

I repeated steps with the jumper, but it doesn't work, I still have the same problem.

Jumper looks like this: https://jeltsch.org/HP_BIOS_reset?language=hu is green, plastic and only has 2 pins (not 3 like most).

HP Recommended

From: Illustrated Parts & Service Map / HP Compaq 4000 Pro Small Form Factor Business PC

Deleting a Power-On or Setup password

1. Turn on or restart the computer. If you are in Windows, click Start > Shut Down > Restart.

To delete the Setup password, go to step 2.

To delete the Power-On password, go to step 3.

1. To change the Setup password, as soon as the computer is turned on, press F10 when the monitor light turns green to enter Computer Setup. Press Enter to bypass the title screen, if necessary.
  2. When the key icon appears, type your current password followed by a slash (/) or alternate delimiter character as shown. Example: currentpassword/
  3. Press Enter.

First, I would try just entering '/'.  Maybe.

HP Recommended

I tried, didn't work either. :Crying: The only change I see is that the "power-on password" window changed its date, it was 01/04/1980, now 01/13/1980.

Right now, I'm just waiting for my dad to tell me when is he going to take the pc to support.

HP Recommended

> changed its date, it was 01/04/1980, now 01/13/1980.

Presumably, you removed the BIOS battery 13 days ago, forcing the clock on the motherboard to "default" to 1/1/1980, and you have not removed the battery since then.

HP Recommended

i have HP Compaq DC7900 minitower it stuck on power on password showing date 00/00/2000

i do not know passord

when i removed CMOS and Jumper dated changed to 01/04/1980

please help any if know

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.