Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
I have a HP pavilion. Update was done automatically and I can sign in then the screen is black and I can't do anything.
HP Recommended

I like your way of leaving apprediness running and restarting it. I too was concerned about having it disabled.

Thanks for your suggestion

HP Recommended
I can't open anything. I can't use any programs. I can't get windows
HP Recommended

> I can't open anything. I can't use any programs. I can't get windows .

After entering your Windows password, wait 10 to 30 minutes.

As many people have written, above, eventually, Windows will complete its startup.

HP Recommended

Just wondering if anyone has tried to simply unistall the suspected updates KB4038788 and/or KB4038806 without doing anything else?

I'm NOT recommending anyone do this because I don't know what will happen, but rather wondering if someone ALREADY has done it and did it get rid of the black screen problem?

Curious,

T

HP Recommended

> Just wondering if anyone has tried to simply uninstall the suspected updates KB4038788 and/or KB4038806 without doing anything else?

> I'm NOT recommending anyone do this, because I don't know what will happen.

If you want to know, see:

https://support.microsoft.com/KB/4038806 - "Security update for Adobe Flash Player: September 12, 2017"

This security update resolves vulnerabilities in Adobe Flash Player that is installed on any supported edition of 

... Windows 10, Windows 10 Version 1511, Windows 10 Version 1607, Windows 10 Version 1703 ...

----------------

I seriously doubt that the above update is the cause of the symptom.

For the record, see: https://support.microsoft.com/KB/4038788 

for a long description of various "miscellaneous" fixes in this update.

Users of Windows 10 Home have the option to uninstall an update, but they do not have the option to "hide" the update, such that Windows Update won't automatically re-apply it.  That capability is available to Windows 10 Pro users.

From a command-line prompt, enter  services.msc     and press  ENTER.

Double-click on the "App Readiness" service, and read the explanation of what it does to "prepare" newly-installed applications for their first usage.

HP Recommended

Just wondering if anyone has tried to simply unistall the suspected updates KB4038788 and/or KB4038806 without doing anything else?

I'm NOT recommending anyone do this because I don't know what will happen, but rather wondering if someone ALREADY has done it and did it get rid of the black screen problem?

Curious,

T

Yes I tried that and no it did not work. 

HP Recommended

Hi, just created an account to share my knowledge. Also got this black screen after installing the latest windows update. Uninstalling the update doesn't work, because other "things" are affected when installing the update. Disabling app readiness did work to get rid of the black screen, however before the black screen the welcome message and loading animation stays longer than it did before the update in my case. I updated my PC on the 14th of september, luckily I had a restore point on the 13th of september. After restoring it logged in fast again and without a black screen. I had a look at what was affected if i restored back to that date and here is the outcome of that (so maybe one of these things is the cause):  

Language is dutch, but "stuurprogramma" means driver. 

I'm not sure if any of these are an effect on the problem.

HP Recommended

Eversome, 

I also have the issue of numerous failed installs for

- HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 5/26/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.21.1. It's failed to install 10 times, to be exact!

Come on, HP!!  I got a black screen on this brand new HP Envy and almost had a heart attack. I've decided to follow Wavemechanic's suggestion of using Task Manager on start-up to re-start App Readiness service. But there really should be a fix for this ASAP, HP. 

HP Recommended

@dahbou wrote:

Eversome, 

I also have the issue of numerous failed installs for

- HP Development Company, L.P. - System - 5/26/2017 12:00:00 AM - 6.0.21.1. It's failed to install 10 times, to be exact!

Come on, HP!! 

Yep same. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.