Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Kudos to ITDS and Raynlaze for their info (in response to my post) regarding uninstallation of the recent updates. Evidently, uninstalling the recent updates doesn't solve the problem, so I'll leave my installed updates alone for now.

This issue seems to be evolving into a muddled mess. As I have stated in previous posts, we have workarounds from early posts (sometimes duplicated in subsequent posts), but no actual solutions.  As a newcomer to this group, I'm wondering if HP customer support ever posts any "official" information in response to significant issues (such as the black screen issue being discussed in this thread)?

T

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue, after having updated windows 10.

I have tried and failed to uninstall/install several updates and programs, but I could not resolve it.

However, I tried creating a new user account, following Eversome Honor Student advice (09-12-2017 10:12 PM). This account isn't linked to my Microsoft account, so it's not trying to authenticate it.

I migrate my data and it has worked ok.

Thank you, Eversome!

HP Recommended

Well put  Wavemechanic.

Considering ,that probably several 1000 users of HP products must struggle with this very issue, many of them not with the required IT skills to implement a work around, it is astonishing that HP is not issuing a temporary hot fix or at least is  responding officially in this forum.

My only guess is, that they fear, if they are acting on the issue, then they might become liable for legal claims. Nevertheless it is a short sighted and very disappointing behaviour, causing a lot unnecessary of grieve and stress.

Ironically, being the  CTO of a >30 billion company, I was approached 2 weeks ago by HP for doing a presentation for promoting their business with my company. I am looking forward to the meeting :-). On my side I will present form my HP Laptop, with the appreadiness enabled so they can all sit through the entire boot-up time..... and then we will take it from there 😉

HP Recommended

Yes! Yes! You made my day!

it worked with my HP 250 G6! Thank you very very much!

Ciao,

Mauro

HP Recommended

>> I'm guessing its a bug in the HP image.

I disagree.

>  I tried that first using the factory image in the recovery partition and the issue is present after completing updates.

What happens when you:

1. for a desktop, disconnect the Ethernet cable;

2. for a laptop, disable the wireless, or turn off the wireless router in your home;

3. restore using the factory image;

Do you have the symptoms, after rebooting?

If not, then the factory image does not have a bug.

4. Connect to the Internet;

5. Run Windows Update, and watch it update;

6. Reboot, and see if applying the Microsoft (not HP) updates, has introduced the symptoms.

Note that Microsoft claims to offer free technical support to all users having problems related to Windows Update.

I have never verified that claim.

HP Recommended

Hello everybody. I registered myself on this page just to say thank you. This problem started for me yesterday and I am using the solution that after I log in and the black screen appears, I enter the task manager and go to App Readiness and End Task, Shut down. 

Today I went into chat with HP and I want to share this information with you, which they claim to be the permanent solution. They gave me this info after they tried to control my PC, but I had no time for that then and rejected it.

I as well told them that I will return the PC and buy a new one from another manufacture if this won’t get solved very soon. 

Note that I have not tried this thing yet. I still do the End Task, Shut down App Readiness thing. I paste the conversation bellow. 

HP: Like I said this is a permanent fix. You must disable the program. Not just end / stop it. If booting to the black screen, then press:

Ctrl+ shift+Esc ->File->Run New task->type services.msc check the box under it and click ok

• In the list double click on
  • AppReadiness ->under startup type select disabled->apply ->ok
  • Restart the pc and the issue would be fixed permanently.

Me: But isn’t that a bad thing? I will not get new updates?

HP: No, it is not bad. This is a fix suggested by Microsoft. They would not be suggesting it if it harmed the pc. They would be releasing a new update that would fix the issue shortly.

Me: Okay nice. So, that means I don’t have to do this, and I could just wait for the update? Or I could choose to fix it alone right away.

HP: You must do this step now and wait for the update.

Me: Okay I get it. Excellent. I'll do this later today, and come back if i have further issues. When is this Microsoft update expected?

HP: I can assure that you would not face any issue. Make sure that you disable it following what I have share.

Me: Thanks. When is this Microsoft update expected?

HP: They said they are working on it and very soon they would release it. Not sure when.

What do you think about this? Should I do it?

Regards, owner of a one week old PC.

HP Recommended

mb2678...

Glad things worked for you! I was wondering who's post (or workaround) you are responding to)? Maybe I'll try it too.

(I only get a long list of posts and I can't tell which post is a response to another post.)

Thanks

T

HP Recommended

MMS-Almere...

Kudos for the information in your post. Glad you found something that works for you. So I am wondering...when you refer to a "boot recovery", do you mean a complete system reinstall to factory settings? Could you give some additional information on the specifics of what options you selected?

Thanks!

T

HP Recommended
So I can not access anything but task manager. What should I do
HP Recommended

> I can not access anything but task manager. What should I do?

Wait 15 minutes, and Windows will complete its start-up, and will function properly.

In this thread, contributors have suggested various bypasses:

* creating a new user account, and logging-in to it;

* using System Restore to time-warp your computer back to any checkpoint created before 10 AM Pacific on Tuesday, September 12;

* uninstalling one Windows Update;

* stopping and/or disabling the "App Readiness" background service;

* wait for Microsoft (not HP) to re-release the problematic update, so that Windows Update will download/install it.

Pick one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.