Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

> How do I do this if I have a black screen?

How did you post that, when you have a black screen?  :Wink:

HP Recommended

I had the black screen, 'forever to boot' problem on my brand new Pavillion X360.  

My husband has a Dell - no issues.  He just installed the Windows update yesterday. 

Like others, this happened to me today after I had just finished installing HP prompted updates (BIOS and something else).  

My IT guys at work could not find the solution and I myself spent hours online trying to figure this out.  

I called HP and I have to say they were very helpful and ended up providing the 'uncheck app readiness' workaround.

The tech said they've been bombed with calls about this.  So they are very aware.

I hope they work with Microsoft to get this resolved because leave app readiness disabled is not anything I'd suspect we want to do long-term.

Very, very frustrating.  Although, I AM learning a lot about my laptop and Windows that I didn't know and  - as a woman -  that's a good thing!

HP Recommended

This fix worked for me. Very appreciative for getting 10 minutes back in my day after a computer reboot!

HP Recommended
I have same issue.
Im still waiting for they solution 😞
How about you guys?
Is it fix now? Or still not working Correctly 😞 ?
Please reply ASAP.thanks
HP Recommended
I have same issue 😞 and now still waiting for Solution if they have. How about you guys? Is it okay now or still not working properly ? Please reply ASAP.thanks
HP Recommended

> I have same issue ...

I think that we have enough "interested parties" to fill every seat in the "Shark Tank" -- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SAP_Center  that was formerly known as the "HP Paviilion".  :generic:

> and now still waiting for Solution if they have.

Writing good software is not easy, especially if the software is to work in many languages (left-to-right, right-to-left, top-to-bottom).  It takes person-hours to research the problem, and write a good "fix", and then more person-hours for the "Quality Assurance Team" to review the "fix" and make sure that it does not "break" some other program.

Then, the software, and supporting documentation (in many languages), needs to be "rolled-out" to HP's servers.

> How about you guys? Is it okay now or still not working properly ? Please reply ASAP.

Girls are allowed to use computers, too. :Surprise:

No, it's not OK. Once your computer has the symptom, it still has the symptom, until the "fix" is released and applied.

I'm sure that Microsoft and/or HP are trying to achieve that 'ASAP' goal.

HP Recommended

HP suggests me to do this when the black screen popps up:

Ctrl+ shift+Esc ->File->Run New task->type services.msc check the box under it and click ok

• In the list double click on
  • AppReadiness ->under startup type select disabled->apply ->ok
  • Restart the pc and the issue would be fixed permanently.

They say this is a permanent fix and that an update from Microsoft should come shortly.

They say that this is a suggest by Microsoft, and that it is not a bad thing, and that I must do this now and wait for the update.

What you say, should I do this?

HP Recommended

Dear Wavemechanic,

Thanks for your message, But not a full system recovery but a bootup recovery. So the one that only fixes the boot sequence. But in the meantime I already had one laptop where this fix didn't work. For these laptops we did this:

.1 Start up the pc and log in. From that point wait until you see the black screen and start up task manager.

.2 press run "msconfig" 

.3 go to the tab "service"

.4 remove the the checked box "App readlines" and press apply.

.5 Restart pc and disable auto update afterward.

.6 Windows will come with an update very soon to fix this.

Also thanks to my colleagues who helped my find these fixxes.

HP Recommended

I have an  HP Envy. I love it, but like everyone here I got the black screen after a win update 3 days ago. I can login then the black screen appears and I have to wait 8 min then my desktop appears. I can confirm I have just disablled App Readiness and it has worked for me. I have no idea what the implications of doing this is but it has fixed the login issue. Now back to fast boot up.

HP Recommended

4. remove the the checked box "App readlines"

Not "read lines" but "readiness".

5. Restart pc and disable auto update afterward.

6. Windows will come with an update very soon to fix this.

But, since you have "disabled", the update will not be downloaded & applied to your computer. :Crying:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.