Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

Hi

>> I'm guessing its a bug in the HP image.

I disagree.

>  I tried that first using the factory image in the recovery partition and the issue is present after completing updates.

What happens when you:

1. for a desktop, disconnect the Ethernet cable;

2. for a laptop, disable the wireless, or turn off the wireless router in your home;

3. restore using the factory image;

Well i did that first. Obviously. These were 3 x 250 G6 brand new out tof the box. I'm an IT professional and i needed these made ready ASAP. The first thing we do is install W.U. All three black screened at login after updates. I restored from the factory recovery partition on the HDD. Completed W.U. and rebooted. All black screend AGAIN at login.

So... technically yes it was a MS update on the HP image that caused the issue.

4. Connect to the Internet;

5. Run Windows Update, and watch it update;

6. Reboot, and see if applying the Microsoft (not HP) updates, has introduced the symptoms.

I then followed my steps.

Media creation.

Installed to primary.

First setup.

THEN... Completed the exact same MS W.U. Rebooted. Presto. Fixed. x3.

So my assumption that its the HP image is justified imo.

HP Recommended

I've also had the black screen problem with a brand new Pavilion Power 15. Could reproduce it after restoring a Clonezilla SSD image that was taken right after I could boot to desktop. Running Windows Updates after that did break the logon process.

Solved it by installing a fresh version of Windows 10 from a USB drive.

Installing Windows Updates  immediately after that didn't break it.

I then could install HP's drivers and software from their website without problems.

After solving the problem for me I contacted HP support in my country (Switzerland) - they are already aware of the problem and suggested disabling the app-readiness service if the problem should arise.

HP Recommended

This is happening for me also on Pavilion bought a few weeks ago. Thanks for the advice everyone.  It is working to go into Task Manager.  Any ideas on how to get HP to move on resolving the issue?

HP Recommended

The HP guy on the phone told me that a faulty Windows Update that has been released last Monday, 12.09.2017, is the most probable cause and that they're waiting for Microsoft to address the issue.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

since I installed the new windows update I started having the "slow startup and black screen problem", however the new patch released by hp solved the problem apparently.

The first time I used the patch it didn't worked (I had the feeling i did something wrong) but now I gave it another go and apparently the problem is "fixed". The result is the same as disabling the AppReadiness service.

So I would advise to try the following:

1. Activate (if previously disabled) the AppReadiness service

2. Restart 

3. Login and WAIT the desktop to appear for 5-7 minutes (DO NOT open task manager or restart the AppReadiness service)

4. Download the  patch "HP Image Enhancement for System Logon"

This is a list of compatible products

https://support.hp.com/soar-attachment/591/col77722-ob-193473-1-ob-193473-1_sp81965_releasedoc.html

5. Restart

This worked for me, hope it helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks.  This seems to have worked - after I finally sorted how to access the patch.  Still have L-plates on!

HP Recommended

Thank you a lot! I was wondering why wasn't my explorer.exe working and trying to find ways to solve this problem but i didn't think about the apps that could interfeer with the start, so i'm glad you found it!

HP Recommended

I had the save problem with a brand new HP Envy computer.  I restored to a point prior to the update.  The problem is that the computer still wants to do the update.

Please tell me how you disabled Windows UPdates in Windows 10.  I cannot find it anywhere.  I don't need to worry constantly about when one of these updates will cause me to lose so much time, effort and energy trying to fix my computer.  Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi Bubba,

I hate to be nit-picky but as clean boot would require that you also go to the Startup Tab and Disable all Startup Services.  FYI.

RiverMissy

HP Recommended
zyzx, the HP fix/patch you pointed out work for me. App readiness enabled and boot time is back to normal. Thank you!!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.