Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Slimline Desktop - 260-p109
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I recently updated my BIOS for my Simline Desktop 260 P109 with the SP84270.

As soon as the bios was properly updated and rebooted the pc would hang indefinitely in the first system screen (the one that shows the bios number date, system ram, etc.)

I could not go into F2, F12, ESC...so my pc was dead.

The only way to resurrect the pc was to put back my original hard drive (No ssd). I was then able to go into bios, boot windows.

I've tried many things like:

WIN+B (to restore the bios) but just kept beeping with blank screen for several minutes. (I knew the original hdd had the old bios on it)

After that I tried downloading a previous bios and flash it with UEFI tool from HP. Despite having the good SSID class (81B4) bios + signature file on the USB key the tool always failed stating that it's missing the signature while it was obsiously there!!! I suspect a file format change...

So here I am, stuck with my slow hdd while the ssd is not longer visible by the bios update.

Note: I've tried the ssd in a very OLD Dell pc and it's old bios detects it! Luckily with this I made a backup of my stuff.

Is it possible that the F.34 bios has issues with some SSD? Very frustrating to lose a good ssd over a bad bios update 😞

Please advise.

Regards.

Jon

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi

With the old HDD in could you do the WinKey + B option before applying power?

With the PC off, press and hold the Windows logo key and the B key at the same time.

While pressing those keys, press and hold the Power button on the computer for 2 to 3 seconds, and then release the Power button but continue to hold the Windows logo key and the B or V key until the HP BIOS update screen displays or you hear a beeping sound (usually 8 beeps).
The HP BIOS Update screen displays, and the BIOS update begins automatically. This might take several minutes, and you might hear additional beeping sounds.

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps. If the issue persists after repeating the steps, skip to the next step to Download a replacement BIOS file.
    If the Power light turns off, the notebook has turned off because the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the Power button for 2 to 3 seconds only.
    If your notebook starts Windows, update the BIOS to the latest version using the standard BIOS update procedure. For more information about updating your notebook BIOS, go to Updating the BIOS (Notebooks).

HP Recommended

Thank you for the quick response. :generic:

Unfortunately it doesn't work.

Tried several times (with my original HP HDD). 

Steps I did:

-Hold WinKey + B (while pc off)

-Hold power button for 2-3 sec.

-Release power (while still holding keys)

-Heard exactly 8 beeps but screen had no signal (nothing displayed) for several minutes.

(I kept keys down all the time).

After almost 3-4 minutes I gave up...No Bios update screen to be seen.

HP Recommended

Hi

Well you could try and prep the SSD.

Partition, Format as though it was original 4 partitions.

Boot, Recovery, Recovery etc.

Copy the expanded iso onto the "recovery" partition and try and install as though it was an SD/USB device.

HP Recommended

For anyone finding this thread, this is what worked for me after flashing the latest BIOS onto a (previously working) HP 280G2 MT with a Samsung Evo SSD:

Symptoms:

After flashing to the latest BIOS, the PC just sits there on boot with the HP logo and spinning dots.

SSD appears to be dead - is not recognised by any PC/BIOS/OS (Win or Linux)

You will need 2x USB Memory sticks, at least 16GB each and another PC (pref another HP).

1. Download the previous (working) BIOS version (for your PC model) from HP.

2. Download the HP Diagnostic Tools (SP88524.exe) and install on one of the memory sticks.

3. Run the BIOS exe. Choose the option to install the BIOS files to a USB stick, and install to the SECOND USB.

4. Plug BOTH USB sticks into the "dead" PC (be sure to have the SSD connected as well, but use F9/Escape to choose Boot device).

5. Boot the PC using the USB with the Diagnostic Tools (if it asks for a code, use 1234 for all).

6. Choose Firmware/BIOS and "update from file". Point the program to the BIOS file (it will be something.BIN) on the SECOND USB stick created in step 3.

7. Wait for the BIOS update to complete and (for me, at least) the system will boot back into the SSD.

Before using this method, my EVO SSD was completely unreadable by ANY system that I tried it in - BIOS/Windows/Linux - it didn't matter. If I put it into a USB "caddy", it just locked up the USB (Windows OR Linux). After using this method, the SSD suddenly came back to life!

I can't promise it'll work for everyone, but hopefully it'll help someone.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.