Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
HP Z420
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I wonder if anyone has come across the same issue I ran into. I tried to install an SSD into my HP Z420 but the BIOS are not able to recognize. My computer is running the latest BIOS version, I tried many differents things to fix the problem but nothing had worked. I wonder if HP has a fix for this?

Thank You for your help with this frustating issue!

Gio

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found the way to fix it. This is what I did; I changed in the BIOS the RAID+AHCI to AHCI only and the computer was able to recognized my SSD. Thanks all for your help!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Can you try connecting it to some other motherboard, to see if it can be detected at all, and to rule-out the possibility of you having a "dud" device.  Exercise the warranty -- take it back to where you bought it, and either get them to show you that it works, or for them to exchange it for an identical one that they demonstrate is working.

HP Recommended

I found the way to fix it. This is what I did; I changed in the BIOS the RAID+AHCI to AHCI only and the computer was able to recognized my SSD. Thanks all for your help!

HP Recommended

> I changed in the BIOS the RAID+AHCI to AHCI only ...

You probably overlooked a special screen within BIOS SETUP that appears only when you enable 'RAID' mode.

If you did not "add" the disk-drive into a "set", it will not be visible/accessible.

RAID ==>  Rapid Array of Independent Disks.

That 'RAID-SETUP' screen allows you to group multiple disk-drives into a "set".

Such a "set" can either take two disk-drives, and create a "mirrored-set" -- each byte of data is written to two disk-drives.

If one disk-drive fails, your data is still present on the other member of the set.

You then remove the failed disk-drive, add the new disk-drive into the "degraded" set, and the "mirroring" will be restored.

Or, a "set" can take multiple disk-drives, and create a "striped" set.

Each 8-bit byte that you write to this set is split into groups, and only a few bits are written to each member of the set.

Obviously, a "striped" set does disk I/O faster than a single disk-drive.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.