Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

I have a model 260-p026 desktop.  I bought a Samsung EVO 860 SSD.  I put an image of my desktop HDD onto  my SSD using program Samsung Migration with the SSD plugged via USB.  I looked at final result in Disk Management and original HDD and SSD match.  I unplugged the HDD totally.  I plugged in the SSD with the same cables that were plugged into the HDD (black multi pin cable, Blue SATA cable).  I try to boot the computer and it displays a screen saying press "esc" to enter setup.  I press it forever and nothing happens.  tried rebooting many times.  nothing.  I plugged back in the HDD and replugged the SSD (which would not boot) via USB.  Entered BIOS.  It shows the SSD as USB attached.  It also calls my HDD "USB HARD DRIVE".  By the way if I disconnect the HDD totally, plug the SDD totally, not only will it not boot, but it won't let me enter BIOS.  Now, next I opened my laptop.  Removed exisitng drive.  Plugged in the SSD which would not boot on desktop (even though it is a mirror image of HDD), and IT BOOTS PERFECTLY on the laptop.  This indicated to me there must be a bios problem.  So i loaded lastest Bios from the website.  Same problem.  It will not boot on Desktop.

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@rickhow

I reviewed your post and I understand that the SSD is not getting detected on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you connect only the SSD to the computer and boot to BIOS and check whether the SSD is getting detected.

If it is getting detected in the BIOS, then try booting to Windows and check. If the computer is not booting to Windows then restore the BIOS defaults follow the steps in the below article and check.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04831065

NOTE: Steps are the same for the desktop computer as well.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Someone on this forum, if you read the other responses I received, told me that my model does NOT support Samsung SSD's.  It only supports Crucial and Kingston.  Also the internet is full of similar people having problems with models of HP computers and the inability to install SSD computers.  That the bios does NOT accept them.

HP Recommended

By the way, I did restore the bios, and same thing happens.  Yes if both the HDD is installed as normal, and the SSD is attached via USB, the system recognizes that the SSD is present.  You can access it via File Explorer, write to it, etc.  But it (the SSD) will not boot.  If you disconnect the HDD, connect the SSD internall, try to boot, the disk  will NOT boot.  The bios (latest level and "original restored level", will NOT boot the Samsung 860 EVO disk.

HP Recommended

@rickhow

Thank you for the update.

Yes, it looks like the SSD is not compatible with the computer and I suggest you try using a different brand or a lesser GB SSD and test.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.