Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 790-0020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I bought a 1tb SSD and have already secured it into my HP Pavilion 790-0020. The Sata and other cable are already connected and my computer recognizes it as being there. The issue is that I can't seem to find it in the BIOS boot order list in order to boot from the SSD instead of my original hard drive. I have already cloned the contents of my original hard drive to the SSD, and I have successfully partitioned the SSD. The System setup menu as well as the BIOS recognizes and sees the SSD when I check my list of hard drives, but BIOS does not list it in the boot order menu. Is this computer just unable to boot from a SSD?

Ideally, I would like to be able to boot from this SSD and have my original hard drive as extra storage space, but if I can just unplug my original hard drive and plug my SSD into that port to resolve this issue I'd be fine with that, but I can't seem to find the cables to it or the original hard drive itself in the computer. All the guides I have looked up all had the original hard drive right next to the optical disk drive in the case, but mine did not and I have no clue where my original hard drive even is. Any help would be much appreciated. 
Thank You

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

According to the speg page

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-gaming-desktop-pc-790-0000i/20395823/model/21447507...

That PC has a 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State drive and no typical hard drive.  From what I have read, there is no drive bay provided for a traditional hard drive.  Since the existing 256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State drive does not have cable connections, then the only way to disconnect it would be to take it out of the slot.

Since the spec page indicates there is a DVD drive, try using SATA 0 connection for this new drive to see if the SSD is detected in the BIOS setup.  I have read that disconnecting the original boot drive might then force the BIOS to recognize this new drive, but that would require removing the256 GB PCIe NVMe TLC M.2 Solid State drive to try that approach.  That would be then next step after the using SATA 0 port for the new SSD.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

what SSD is it 2.5" sata or M.2  ?

please post link to the new drive so helpers can read the spec. on exact drive

if using real SSD (it has 2 cables, one is power and other is, SATA data cable , put the SSD in Sata PORT 0, BLUE.

Cloning is tricky  , been doing that for over 30 years me,. in fact the very first ever.

the rule is clone, drive 1 to 2.

then shut down the PC  , ac cord pulled too

and remove the old drive  2, and park it for now, on desk and put new drive in drive,1 slot.   

now boot the PC, and set bios boot order to drive 1, SSD.2.5" real and freshly cloned.

later the old drive can be added only if the unstated clone app,  disabled the old drives (active status)

if using secure boot all this will fail are you? UEFI BLOCKS this act, cloning.

"but I can't seem to find the cables to it or the original hard drive itself in the computer"

i had to read this 10 times (me daft not you) and means the PC drive 1 is in fact a SSD M.2. card. not  2.5" SATA drive at all

so remove it. see the PC does boot

do not have 2 active drives with same OS in one PC,  or nothing but bad await you .sorry. MS dot com tells way !

my clone proggys; all do this correctly, so the 2nd drive, is active bit set false. at end of clone (ask for better cloning apps)

your PC has m.2 boot drive CARD day 1  new as others just stated. see  IT?

NO warranty answers by me.
HP Recommended

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078DPCY3T/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

This is the SSD I purchased, Thank You for the advice! I guess ill probably just only use the drive i bought.

HP Recommended

Hi, By SATA 0 do you mean the ODD? I looked all around the internal and only found ODD, HDD1 HDD2 HDD3. My SSD is currently plugged into the HDD1 slot. I still do not know where the original internal SSD is housed as it seems like the only thing housed in the Hard Drive housings is the Optical Disk Reader. Would it be possible that the original internal SSD is housed in the power supply or something? I will respond to my original thread with pictures.

HP Recommended

Here are some pictures of whats going on in my computer, Pic of the hard drive housing place, there was nothing in here when i originally opened the machine except for the place where the optical disks go into from outisde the machine in the top right part of the case, the black SSD installed on the top left is the SSD I bought and put inPic of the hard drive housing place, there was nothing in here when i originally opened the machine except for the place where the optical disks go into from outisde the machine in the top right part of the case, the black SSD installed on the top left is the SSD I bought and put inHere I labeled the SSD I bought and the 2 closest L shaped SATA plugs, one labeled HDD1 which is what i plugged it into and one labeled ODD which I am assuming is for the DVD drive?Here I labeled the SSD I bought and the 2 closest L shaped SATA plugs, one labeled HDD1 which is what i plugged it into and one labeled ODD which I am assuming is for the DVD drive?up close picture of the HDD1 and ODD plugsup close picture of the HDD1 and ODD plugsIMG_4090.jpegClose up of HDD2 and 3Close up of HDD2 and 3

HP Recommended

IMG_4090.jpeg

HP Recommended

Your pictures are not showing yet.  I'll wait to reply until they are approved, as it seems they will show what I need to see.

BTW: the M.2 drive is a slot SSD and looks like a card.  It is to the left of the memory and right above the SATA ports.

That being with the I/O ports Etc on the left side of the motherboard.

I'm not an HP employee.
Did this message answer your question? Please indicate below as an Accepted Solution!
Did you find this message useful? Click on the "Was this reply helpful" Yes button.
HP Recommended

I found the original SSD! It was right where you said it was, one side is secured down by a single screw while the other side is slotted into the board. Would I just take this out and plug the SSD I bought into the slot? Also, any tips on how I should remove it? IMG_4093.jpeg

HP Recommended

Before taking anything apart, read this post completely, since you might need to do the last thing in this post before doing the rest.

Yes, I can see what you are speaking about.  There seems to be plenty or room in there for the new drive.  Not what I expected. 

I am assuming since there are two SATA connectors, that one is the DVD drive - plugged into the ODD (Optical disk drive) and the new hard drive is HDD1.

Just to clear things up - when you cloned the existing M.2 drive to the new SSD, what software did you use and was that cloning done in this PC as the host?  How was the Samsung SSD connected - just as it is now?

In order to remove the M.2 drive - remove the screw and then slide the card toward the other card that is just to the left, in that last picture.  It should slide out, but you might have to wiggle it slightly.  Do not try to pick it up until the card has exited the slot.  Then if the new SSD is still not recognized as bootable by the setup menu, it might not have been cloned properly. 

While it is still in this configuration,however,  and the M.2 drive is out, try booting to a USB Windows 10 media install stick and then pick "repair" instead of "install"  once the startup screen in the install media has shown.  The repair should find the Windows 10 system on the Samsung SSD and attempt a repair to the boot sector.  Then it should be able to boot to the Samsung with the M.2 drive still not in place.

Before you tell me you do not have a Windows 10 media install stick, you can make one.  Do this before removing the M.2 drive, since the computer needs to be working to do this.

If you need the install media for Windows 10, you can make it from this Microsoft download

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

With a working PC, scroll down to the "Using the tool to create installation media"
and then follow the directions. You can make USB.

I'm not an HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.