34 20 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SSD

HPE h8-1360t
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, 

I recently installed a 500GB SSD in my PC and kept the HDD as storage. Reinstalled win10 pro. 

My question is, do I need to make any changes in the Bios in regards to the Boot squence ?? mine you, the system boots, to me look normal normal, but I'm not an expert so i just want to be sure that I have done everything correct.

Any help will be greatfull

Thanks

KC 

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
28,004 27,539 1,809 5,043
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SSD

@couskae

I suggest that you use the SATA port that was used by the original HD boot drive.  That way if you should clear the clear the CMOS, replace the CMOS battery or update the BIOS then the default boot device will always be used and therefore you will not have to change the boot sequence in the BIOS.  However, see the below paragraph.

If you kept the original HD in your PC will installing W10 to the SSD (not a recommended practice) then there is a good chance that the Windows boot loader that points to W10 was installed on then old HD. This is not a good situation becuase if that HD fails then you will not be able to boot either the new SSD or the old HD.

My recommendation is to always unplug the original HD when installing an OS to a different HD or SSD.

HP Photosmart 6520
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 10 x64
Custom PC - Z390, i7-9700K, 32GB, dual 512 GB NVMe, dual 512 SSDs, 2K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 2080TI 11GB
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 2
34 20 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

SSD

Hi,

Thanks for your feed back.

I should have mencioned, I did disconnect all HDD before installing w10 on the ssd, the ssd was the only drive and was connected to the same sata where the old hdd was, now connected as the secondary drive for storage. 

The PC seems to be booting fine ~20sec to load, I just wanted to be sure that I would not have had to make any changes in the Bios Boot sequence, just double checking.

my pc is a HPE h8-1360t just in case.

thanks so much for your help and suggestions

KC

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation