Fix Windows 10 Update Issues

Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen stuck in "Choose your keyboard layout" in automatic repair after power down.

Last week I had a HP machine (shipped as Win7 but updated to Win10) , have the , get stuck at "choose your Keyboard".

Tried every fix on offer ...

made a DVD Win10 boot disc

all the command prompt enties, failed

Reset did not work , some kind of error

No restore point , so failed

grrrrrr

Did a full re-install and then installed all my App's again and resetup machine , a FULL day to do all this !

Well, have another identical machine in my office , it now is also stuck at "choose your keyboard"....

Therefore this MUST have been a Microsoft update pushed out that has caused this as it is impossible that 2 computers would have identical fault within a week of each other.

HP, you MUST be flooded with support calls on this , what is the fix that a "normal" user can do ???

very keen to have answered , thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Screen stuck in "Choose your keyboard layout" in automatic repair after power down.

> Therefore this MUST have been a Microsoft update pushed out ...

Shrove Tuesday, February 13, 2018, was the "second Tuesday" of the month -- the day each month that Microsoft releases security-updates to Windows.

When you reboot, keep tapping the F8 key, until you get into the "Repair Mode" screen.

Can you use System Restore to roll-back your computer to a checkpoint taken early on Tuesday, or on a preceding day?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

It says there is no restore points on this machine (same error as the other machine 1 weeks prior) , but I know there was restore points as it said each time it did updates it was creating restore points....

I think it has something to do with the partition arrangement that HP have on the system drive for thier recovery partition (which is useless now since that was only the Win7 it shipped with)

Also can't revert back to previous OS anymore , microsoft in infinate wisdom put a time-bomb on that option (they should just grey out options that wouldn't work , so frustrating)

best regards,

Brad

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,658
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

>  Can't revert back to previous OS anymore ...

Access http://support.hp.com

Enter your HP model-number, and do the search.

One of the results should be a "device-driver downloads" page.

Mixed-in with the device-drivers might be an option to purchase a copy of the original factory-installed operating system.

Or, see www.ComputerSurgeons.com   and   www.RestoreDisks.com

One of these legitimate companies might offer the same "System Recovery Set" -- a copy of the software that is not available via the HP Support web-site.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
3 2 0 0
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Since Microsoft did the tricky FORCED Win10 update along the path , it's officially now in no-man's land since it shipped with Win7...

I think it's all a plan from Microsoft in conjunction with hardware manufacturers to make the machine unsupported by either and since it's then to hard for most people to clean install , they just buy new hardware which then Microsoft and the hardware manuafacturer benifit financially from !

I think it stinks , such a STUPID OS system that it can't repair itself by comparing to a DVD rom of the downloaded OS to replace files as needed.

I just got a new SSD and did a clean install and moved the USER files over from the old drive , MANY hours of my time waisted. Since Win10 was previously activated on this machine the license just auto re-activated again.

The CORE OS should be supper supper bulet proof , it should then add all the drivers and add-ins and graphics , that way you should ALWAYS have a CORE OS to boot into (or from a CD/DVD) and then be able to "fix" any add-in driver or process that caused instability in the system ... sounds simple to me... Microsoft is just a big bloated mess of code and cyptic processes now , they have lost their way...

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation