Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
SD card issue
Microsoft Windows 11

sd card reader does not response

Product: HP EliteBook- 8440p

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 (64-Bit)

hello,

i have an HP EliteBook 8440p with a sd card reader.

thing is it does not respond at all when i insert the card. i tried looking for drivers on device manager, but i cant find it, either its not there or i just dont know how it is named.

does anyone know how to find it in device manager, or how to wake it up any other way?

thank you all.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is an older laptop designed for Windows 7.  Glad you got it working on 11.

Was the SD card reader working after the upgrade to 11?  

When did it stop working?

It is possible that ejecting the SD card without using the USB safe removal can cause the device to stop functionjing

Try turning off your laptop and unplug from wall.  Remove the battery and press the on button 3-4 ties to discharge power then reconnect and see if that fixes the problem.  I have had to do this a couple of times myself.

Thank you for using HP products and posting to the community.
I am a community volunteer and do not work for HP. If you find
this post useful click the Yes button. If I helped solve your
problem please mark this as a solution so others can find it
HP Recommended

Hi, @Kenmoni 

Your notebook is not supported by HP for W10 or W11.

Your only option is to use the W7 SD card reader driver on your notebook's support page.

Driver - HP EliteBook 8440p Notebook PC | HP® Customer Support

It should work on W11.

It worked on my older HP Elitebook 6930p which has the same SD card reader as yours.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.