Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
h8-1020
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi all.  Really desperate here, hoping you guys can help me out.

I recently upgraded my graphics card to a Zotec GeForce GTX 1060 on my H8-1020 I'm currently running BIOS 7.14 and Windows 10.

I also upgraded my PSU and connected the graphic card to it and upon bootup I'm stuck at the HP logo screen.  It says hit escape for setup but I get nothing!

I can't seem to find an update for my BIOS online.

I viewed a vid on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkBTSlBW2oc&t=249s

....stating to just hold F12 upon startup to get to the setup menu but I'm scared to damage my computer or something.

Is my motherboard even compatible for this card?

Thanks guys I hope I can get this goin tonight!

_kerp

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Kerpowski, welcome to the forum.

The 1060 is not compatible with your motherboard because it requires UEFI.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI in the motherboard were the GTX 660/670 series.  You should contact Zotec's Tech Support to see if they have a VBIOS update that will allow the card to work with your BIOS.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Kerpowski, welcome to the forum.

The 1060 is not compatible with your motherboard because it requires UEFI.  HP didn't begin using UEFI until mid-October, 2012.  Your BIOS can't be upgraded to UEFI.  The last cards not to require UEFI in the motherboard were the GTX 660/670 series.  You should contact Zotec's Tech Support to see if they have a VBIOS update that will allow the card to work with your BIOS.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for your response. I was able to get a full refund for my graphics cards and power supply. I'm still looking to upgrade my graphics card. 

So I can purchase up to the gtx 670 with my current mobo....what about the Radeon line of graphics cards, are you able to tell me the latest ones I can purchase that don't require uefi? I'm having trouble finding this info online and don't want to make the same mistake twice. It's not in my budget right now to get a newer PC.

Thanks again for your help. Really appreciate this.

-kerp

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @Kerpowski.  Thank you for the additional information.

Your best option is to choose a manufacturer of Radeon cards and contact their
Tech Support for help with choosing the best card for your system.  They are the experts on their products and will be able to help you easily.  This is the safest way to save you frustration and cost you more money.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.