Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Touchsmart 520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Stuck at hp splash following windows update.

hitting esc does nothing because no usb support for keyboard (have tried wired and wireless)

ram tested

new mb, same problem

new cpu same problem

hd fine

cant get to bios and no usb support so no keyboard

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

There must be something in how bios loads maybe touchscreen first instead of keyboard and usb.

HP Recommended

Hi

POST Power On Self Test

I guess it is failing to post.  So by eliminating/removing hardware is a good step.

Unfortunately if it is on the Main Board then.........

HP Recommended

The MB was replaced and stuck at same place.

the touchscreen is two things a monitor which obviously works and basically a usb mouse.  Touchscreen controller?  Somehow stuck in sleep mode? 

HP Recommended

Hi
Hopefully one of these documents will cover (and solve) your problem...

https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c00042629

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c02693833

Turn off the computer, and then connect the power cord.
Press and hold the Windows key and the B key at the same time, and then press and hold the power button for 2 to 3 seconds.
Release the Power button but continue pressing the Windows and B keys. You might hear a series of beeps.
The HP BIOS Update screen displays and the recovery begins automatically. Follow any on-screen prompts to continue the startup to complete the recovery.
HP BIOS Update recovery in progress

If the HP BIOS Update screen does not display, repeat the previous steps but press the Windows key and the V key. If the screen still does not display, your computer might not support the feature or there is a hard drive issue. Continue to the next step to install a BIOS recovery file from the HP website.
If the Power light turns off, the Power button was held too long. Repeat the previous steps, making sure to hold the button for only 2 to 3 seconds.

HP Recommended

I will try this. (again but more rigorously - and I did not know about WIndows+V)

But the keyboard (whether wired or not) does work because there doesn't seem to be any power to any USB port.

The HD is fine.  Swapping MB results in same thing.  So? I have this feeling there is a firmware problem in the touchscreen controller.  But I will keep an open mind.
HP Recommended

Hi

This wont work, but I am still gonna mention it.

Remove the Hard Disk.

Make a bootable USB taking Microsoft out of the equation, leaving only HP.

https://lubuntu.net/downloads/    It does not need a hard disk only ram.

The PC may default thru to the USB stick, although I note about the USB ports not working.

HP Recommended

I've already removed the HD. 

If I could boot via USB stick (which was tried) then the USB keyboard would be working and I could have gotten somewhere with esc or Win+B, etc.  (PS the CD/DVD disk has power and spins and it won't even boot to that when Win 10 disk is in it on startup.)

The key to this is no USB - even when brand new motherboard put in - stuck at same screen

So there is no confusion this is what is shown

what is says is v7.07    Press ESC key for start upwhat is says is v7.07 Press ESC key for start up

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.