Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Omen Obelisk 8758-1877nz
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello guys

I have a dualboot System established on my Omen Obelisk (Fedora Linux besides Windows).

When I press the power button to start the computer, it gets stuck in a reboot loop (tries to start for about 3 to 4 seconds, aborts and tries again). I do not hear any beep-sounds.

What I've already tried:

- Booting without anything (Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor) plugged in

- Removing the CMOS battery while computer is plugged out. Then readding (the same) battery and readd the GPU that had to be removed.

- Booting from a Linux Stick (plugged into the USB Port)

- Removing the dust with a vacuum cleaner (I paid close attention as to not touch anything)

- Booting with a single RAM Stick (there are two of 16GBs) in different slots. I tried with both RAM sticks.

- Booting without any RAM -> I get those single, long beeps that (as far as I read) signalize the missing RAM. The beeps disappear when reinserting a RAM. This confirms the MB "loud speaker" is not broken and therefore can not give Error Codes.

Does anyone have an idea what I would try anymore or what could be the issue?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Booting from a Linux Stick (plugged into the USB Port)

If this does not work, then you probably have a hardware problem:

• bad RAM -- try with only 1 stick installed, and then try with only the other stick installed
  • failing motherboard
  • failing CPU]
  • failing power-supply

Can you download a RAM-test utility, from www.memtest.org and write a file onto an empty USB memory-stick, or a recordable DVD-disk, and then boot your computer from this media?  If this utility crashes, then it seems to confirm that you have a hardware problem.

HP Recommended

Thank you for your suggestion, @Itsmyname

Trying to boot with only one stick (I tried both of them in different slots) doesn't work. Booting from the memtest stick does not seem to work either (it still shuts down after a few seconds), so I never see the tool nor do I see anything different happen than without the stick.

So it seems to be a Hardware problem, right? Any chance how I can determine which part may be faulty without another (desktop) computer at hand? Or should I directly contact my vendor, as I still have a guarantee on it?

HP Recommended

should I directly contact my vendor, as I still have a guarantee on it?

That is a definite "yes". If you purchase a new automobile, you should not have to be your own mechanic -- when you detect a problem with it, take it back.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.