3 2 0 1
Message 1 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Stuck on 'Press ESC to enter start menu'

HP Pavillion h8-1170uk
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
So I bought my friends computer off him and everything worked fine, but the hardware was outdated so i thought i would try to upgrade a little. My friend gave me a GTX 760 graphics card, the problem was that th PSU was not strong enough to power it. Problem solved, I bought a corsair 650w, which has more than enough power. So i take out the old PSU and put the new one in, plugging everything in.

The problem is when I boot up, I am greeted with a blue HP screen which says 'press esc to enter startup screen' but my keyboard does not work, esc does not work at all.

I have tried different keyboards, taking the battery out of the motherboard, tried the CMOS thingy (not entirely sure i did it right but that did not work either. I'm pulling my hair out here as I have a massive paperweight I keep spending more money on for it to not work. I've looked at countless threads and nothing seems to work!! Please help me!

Thankyou
4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 2 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

UPDATE : I put my old graphics card in and i've managed to boot up now. Is there anything I can do from here so I can use my new graphics card?
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 3 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi mesatrap

The Nvidia GTX 760 requires a PC with a UEFI BIOS.

Your PC has a Legacy BIOS and cannot be updated to a UEFI BIOS.

You are limited to using Nvidia 600 series graphics cards or purchase a newer graphics card that has a switch to run on Legacy or UEFI BIOS.

The options are limited. AMD has more purchase options but the cards are usually longer. You may have a problem installing an AMD card in your chassis.

Some options are Sapphire (X) series and MSI has a GTX 750Ti in addition to some AMD cards.

Grzy

Highlighted
3 2 0 1
Message 4 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Cheers mate, thanks for helping!

Is it worth buying a new motherboard so I can get higher end gpu's?
Highlighted
Level 12
Level 12
6,006 5,992 565 1,264
Message 5 of 5
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hi  mesatrap

You are welcome.

Cheers!

Changing the motherboard requires changing the RAM, the CPU, buying replacement cooling components, and possibly buying a new operating system product key to activate Windows 10. You have a Corsair 650 watt PS. That is a good start.

Then you could have problems with the HP chassis and motherboard tray. MB tray standoff positions may not match Asus, or Gigabyte, or Asrock MB mount points. You could have problems with the HP Front Panel connections.

I recommend to either build a new PC (which would include buying a new chassis) or buy a new HP Omen.

Grzy

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation