Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
All-in-One - 27-b235t

Suddenly and while I was not even working on the computer, it shut down. 

Tried pressing power button, nothing. Tried another power outlet, nothing, Checked that power outlet with cell phone and power outlet is OK, so issue is with computer or power cord.

Of course, this is in month 15 since purchase, so out of warranty.

I ordered another power cord (on its way) to test the adapter and cord.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@PANTSA Does the device turn off suddenly with its lights off as well? or do the lights remain on and only the screen blacks out?

Also, do you know if any updates were recently installed or interrupted during an update?

Meanwhile, here's what you need to do:

If Windows suddenly shuts down without warning, it might be caused by one of several issues.
A BIOS update can also resolve the issue: click here for steps.

Follow the steps in this section, in order, to run a hardware test to identify any issues with the device:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice. The computer powered off and is off, no lights, nothing. Cannot be turned on at all.

HP Recommended

@PANTSA Have you reset the computer to release excessive static? If not, use the below steps:

• Ensure your device is OFF.
  • Unplug all the external devices (If any).
  • Disconnect the power cord from the PSU,
  • Press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.
  • Connect the power supply (power cord).
  • Press the power button to turn on your desktop.

Meanwhile, here's what you need to do, to attempt a solution:
CLICK HERE FOR STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS
(simply select your description of the issue from the bottom of the screen to gain access to the next set of steps that should resolve your concern).

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: Click here
(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried reset. Nothing. 

This should not happen 16 month old brand new computer.

HP Recommended

@PANTSA I understand, if you've done all of that and yet the issue persists, I suggest you talk to HP support and discuss your options, follow the below steps to get started:

1) Click on this link - http://www.hp.com/contacthp/

2) Click on Sign-in or select the product using the below step:

3) Enter the serial of your device.

4) Select the country from the drop-down.

5) Click on "Show Options".

Fill the web-form, to populate a case number and phone number for yourself!

Also, if you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty, if yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from, 

here's how private messages work: Click here for details.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.