Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
compaq cq5110y
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I recently purchased this computer and am trying to build/upgrade it. When I first turned ity on and was installing a program it crashed, and kept doing it. I purchased a brand new 400w power supply and installed it and it is doing the same thing. Do I need a bigger power supply or is there another road to go down with troubleshooting? The compaq is the original except for cpu which is the amd phenom x4 9650.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Greetings,

Welcome back to the forum.

I am not a HP employee.

The Compaq PC is about nine years old.

Did you replace the CPU and, if so, was the PC stable before replacing the processor? Is it possible to install the HP factory processor to test for stability?

Replacing the PSU was a good move. A 400 watt PSU should be fine for this PC. Have you replaced the CR2032 MB battery lately?

Check system memory using MemTest86 Version 4.3.7 (Link).

Have you eliminated corrupt operating system files/drivers and malware as possible causes? I would do a clean Windows install to verify this. You could use a different HDD to install Windows to if you want to keep the current OS installation intact.

Or use Macrium free (Link) to create an operating system (OS) image on external media. You will also need to create a bootable Macrium recovery disc so you can restore the image to the current HDD if you overwrite the existing HDD with a new Windows installation.

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.