Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Example: Pavilion HPE H8PC series
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday, my hp desktop ran a Windows update. During the automatic restart, the pc froze for several hours. I rebooted, and all seemed fine until I started to use Edge, whereupon the fans began to whir and pictures were either slow to load or did not load.

I decided to reboot and was informed that a Windows update was available. Thinking that the previous update must have been interrupted, I chose okay. The system shut down and began to reboot but stopped at the HP screen.I

I waited over an hour, then switched off and on, deciding to run diagnostics. The short test threw up a disk failure, so I ran the longer test which stopped after mere seconds with another disk failure. 

I tried to run the start-up repair to be told that no start up disk could be found. I went into the bios to boot manually to be told that there was no bios or the bios had failed 

I rebooted, only to discover that now nothing loaded at all. The fans whir, but the hard disk makes no sound. I've tried soft and hard resets; restarting with only mouse and keyboard attached; pressing start with windows/b - all to no avail.

any suggestions, other than a new disk?

Thank you,

Richard

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

Getting disk error messages when running diagnostics would indicate you need a new HDD or SSD.

It is also possible the Windows update is the cause. But this can only be determined by attempting to back up data and then trying a clean W10 installation.

Regards

HP Recommended

I was hoping for something different but was pretty sure this was the case. Thank you for the reply.

Richard

HP Recommended

Hi Richmatth,

You're very welcome.

You could have other hardware issues if you can't get to the BIOS now.

I think HPE series HP PC's were new back in 2012?

It is possible the MB has failed. Or the power supply (PS) is failing (the PS can get fans going but can't power the MB at this time.)

Regards

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.