cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
johnl_678
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Terra web cam causes HP Z400 to freeze during boot

HP Recommended
HP Z400
Linux

I bought a Terra web cam, same as this one. When I plug in the web cam it causes my PC, HP Z400 to hang on boot. It hangs when the blue splash screen appears during boot. If I unplug the web cam, it boots as normal. My bios version is the latest available for the Z400: 3.61 Rev.A. I have tried plugging the web cam into another computer, the computer booted normally. If I unplug the web cam from the Z400, and let the computer boot, then plug it back in after the computer has booted up, the web cam works normally. So, I am guessing there is something I need to disable in the BIOS?

/John

1 REPLY 1
ShadeKeeper
1 1 0 0
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

John, I had the exact same issue as you did when I was repurposing the machine as a mid tier gaming computer for someone. The webcam I was using was a completely different model than yours, but the two webcams I used produced the same issue without fail. While I never found out the exact cause, I narrowed it down to those USB ports or the controller for them. The workaround I had figured out was to get a PCIe USB 3.0 controller (specifically this one, but I suspect any will work) and plug the webcam into it. The issue went away entirely.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation